Judging the Church

General Christian Theology
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Re: Judging the Church

Post by Wade »

KingdomBuilder wrote:This can be a really iffy one for a lot of people-
"For what have I to do with judging outsiders? Is it not those inside the church whom you are to judge? God judges those outside. "Purge the evil person from among you."
‭‭1 Corinthians‬ ‭12-13‬
What does this verse mean to you?
How/ when should we apply this & how should we not?
It seems to me the Corinthian church was possibly proud from what Paul says closer the beginning of this chapter. Maybe they were implying that others were not as spiritual as they because of what they tolerated? So Paul to me is saying stop being proud in allowing known sin by your members and, "put away from among yourselves that wicked person."

Not repenting and willfully sinning as a church member is completely unacceptable and these persons that have put themselves outside the body by doing so, need to also be publicly put out of any type of membership. Since they are outside the body by there own choice we can also consider them a lost soul in need of true repentance and turning to Christ.
0 x
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Post by gcdonner »

Wade wrote:
"For what have I to do with judging outsiders? Is it not those inside the church whom you are to judge? God judges those outside. "Purge the evil person from among you."
‭‭1 Corinthians‬ ‭12-13‬
It seems to me the Corinthian church was possibly proud from what Paul says closer the beginning of this chapter. Maybe they were implying that others were not as spiritual as they because of what they tolerated? So Paul to me is saying stop being proud in allowing known sin by your members and, "put away from among yourselves that wicked person."

Not repenting and willfully sinning as a church member is completely unacceptable and these persons that have put themselves outside the body by doing so, need to also be publicly put out of any type of membership. Since they are outside the body by there own choice we can also consider them a lost soul in need of true repentance and turning to Christ.
I do think, however, that before we put anyone out, we need to work with them and disciple them with the hopes of overcoming the sinful behaviors they have fallen into. Some can be redeemed, some willfully will not, and usually will separate themselves of their own accord. What we often fail to understand is the dynamics that were going on behind the letters before he wrote.
We deal in abstracts here on MN as we seem too often to do with reading and understanding scripture, don't you think?
(naturally you will have to judge the motives and thoughts behind my statements and then try to respond accordingly. Not unlike what we do when reading Paul's admonitions)
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Post by Wade »

gcdonner wrote:
Wade wrote:

I do think, however, that before we put anyone out, we need to work with them and disciple them with the hopes of overcoming the sinful behaviors they have fallen into. Some can be redeemed, some willfully will not, and usually will separate themselves of their own accord. What we often fail to understand is the dynamics that were going on behind the letters before he wrote.
We deal in abstracts here on MN as we seem too often to do with reading and understanding scripture, don't you think?
(naturally you will have to judge the motives and thoughts behind my statements and then try to respond accordingly. Not unlike what we do when reading Paul's admonitions)
I agree that is why I used the wording "willfully." Just as you did. ;)
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

temporal1 wrote:2 Peter 3:9
http://biblehub.com/2_peter/3-9.htm
The Day of the Lord
…8Beloved, do not let this one thing escape your notice:
With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day.

:arrow: 9The Lord is not slow to fulfill His promise as some understand slowness, but is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.

10But the day of the Lord will come like a thief.
The heavens will disappear with a roar, the elements will be dissolved in the fire, and the earth and its works will not be found.…
"not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance."
powerful.
maybe this is not a valid correlation, but, when i read this in 2 Peter, i think of Gomer, in the Book of Hosea.
her sins were epic, her punishment harsh.
but, when she came to true repentance - forgiven. restored.

when God punished Gomer, it was not in anger, but patience. He wanted her loving obedience.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN