Christian Anarchism

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Christian Anarchism

Post by Hats Off »

I came to talk about Anabaptist/Mennonite theology. I'm from Montreal, Canada.
I hope we can share about pacifism, creation care and Christian anarchism (Tolstoy, Ellul).

Peace,
GMorgan

So what is Christian anarchism? Is it something that is alive and well in Montreal?
0 x
Heirbyadoption
Affiliation: Brethren

Re: Christian Anarchism

Post by Heirbyadoption »

Actually, I'd be interested in an expansion on all three of those points before we get too far, so we at least are talking about the same thing. ;)
0 x
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Post by gcdonner »

Heirbyadoption wrote:Actually, I'd be interested in an expansion on all three of those points before we get too far, so we at least are talking about the same thing. ;)
Well if you are into anarchy then you won't want to discuss anything here since that is about doing your own thing as an individual. Rebels ARISE!
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
cmbl
Affiliation: Pilgrim, NMB

Post by cmbl »

Tolstoy's The Kingdom of God is Within You would be one reference. I've read parts of it. Think "resist not evil" without "render under Caesar".
0 x
"Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous."
Peregrino
Affiliation:

Post by Peregrino »

To me, it brought to mind a book by Vernard Eller, Christian Anarchy. It is a number of years since I read it, but if I recall correctly, he emphasizes the importance of giving our allegiance to Jesus Christ rather than the state or an institution or an ideology.
0 x
PeterG
Affiliation: Conserv. Mennonite

Post by PeterG »

A few months ago I started reading Jacques Ellul's The Presence of the Kingdom. It's been a bit since I've picked it up, but the gist of it, as I've understood it so far, is that God's kingdom is present in the world through His people, and irreconcilably opposed to the world's values. The world's pursuit and exercise of power is among those values, and that's where the anarchism comes in.
0 x
"It is a weird" —Ken
Chris
Affiliation: Moderate / unaffil

Post by Chris »

Every video I've seen on Anarchy suddenly shows all kinds of people running around and looting..... Like "Bam" no government, "Let's start running around crazy everywhere".

What if "Christian Anarchism" meant without a government, but a ruling kingdom, where Christ is the head. To me this is the ultimate bliss we could achieve in this life. Simple, communities working together without government. Building roads made for and through brotherhoods and churches... Business, trade, etc., all through sound and honest non-fractional reserve currency.

Now I have an idea. A metal-based crypto currency backed by metal just for Christians! :) Rabbit trail.

Let's use the whole term within quotes "Christian Anarchism" not just Christian "Anarchism".

As Christians, we really don't need a government. We could thrive in honesty and love with each other.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Chris wrote:
As Christians, we really don't need a government. We could thrive in honesty and love with each other.
Let’s take baby steps.
I suggest that we learn how to thrive in honesty and love with each other in our own families.
Then local churches, who we have the most in common.
After we perfect that, then expand to include other churches.
Then after we show it possible to live and work in peace, we can try the next step.
0 x
Chris
Affiliation: Moderate / unaffil

Post by Chris »

RZehr wrote:
Chris wrote:
Let’s take baby steps.
I suggest that we learn how to thrive in honesty and love with each other in our own families.
Then local churches, who we have the most in common.
After we perfect that, then expand to include other churches.
Then after we show it possible to live and work in peace, we can try the next step.
Let's do it! I'm 100% with you!!! :D Starts with me! Starts with all of us!
0 x
Dan Z
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by Dan Z »

If I recall (it's been a few years since I read his book) the Christian Anarchy Vernard Eller spoke of isn't really a true anarchy in the normal understanding of the term (i.e. absolute freedom and the rejection of authority & power structures), but rather a rejection of earthly authority, recognizing that the "archys" (authority/power centers) of this world are always in competition with the "archy" of God and his Kingdom. As Jesus said in the sermon on the mount “No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other." Christian Anarchy recognizes the authority of Christ - thus it is not truly anarchistic.

Ultimately, I believe it is a view that is in good part compatible with Anabaptist "two kingdom" dualism, and the idea has informed my understanding. We Anabaptists understand that all we have, including our allegiance, is reserved for the God's Kingdom. Thus we order our lives not by the world's standards and order, but by the higher calling of the rule of Christ.

My problem however, is that Christian Anarchy pushes two-Kingdom dualism to a more radical conclusion than my Anabaptist sensibilities allow: the rejection of the legitimacy of all earthly authority, and an understanding that in the end all earthly power is competition with/opposition to God's power in Christ. Most Anabaptists (informed by Romans 13) would be a bit more nuanced here...recognizing that sometimes earthly authority and structure can be "ordained of God" to keep order in a fallen world, even though ultimately this authority lies outside of the spiritual boundaries Kingdom of God and, in the end, it too will be usurped by the transcendent power of Christ and his limitless Kingdom.
0 x