Hooch, Booze, etc.

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective

Which best describes your personal views on alcohol and alcohol consumption?

Total votes: 0

KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Hooch, Booze, etc.

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Curious to see how the CA consensus here stacks up
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Re: Hooch, Booze, etc.

Post by Hats Off »

I would enjoy some wine and could be convinced that it might be good medicine in certain circumstances but because of all the harm it has caused I will avoid it.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Since my own fellowship fully absorbed late-19th-century Holiness / suffragette teaching, I abstain from alcohol, mostly out of submission to my own fellowship but also out of a desire not to be part of promoting something that causes the "least of these" in our society to deal with severe addiction problems.

My great-grandmother was a suffragette, so in some way I am following the faith of my ancestors.
0 x
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

The only taste I've had of alcohol was a wine sample at a restaurant and it tasted horrible. I have a feeling I could develop a taste for it sort of like one can develop a taste for lutefisk or limburger. But there are enough of problems that come with alcohol that I don't think I'm missing out on much. I don't consider drinking alcohol to be a sin, but I think it is unnecessary and unwise for the most part. Food can be abused too, but food is necessary for survival, where alcohol is not.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
haithabu
Affiliation: Missionary Church

Post by haithabu »

I think that alcohol is okay if used in moderation but there have been periods and situations in my life where I have abstained for various reasons:

1) Submission to a fellowship's "encouragement" that members abstain.
2) When a man stayed with us who had a known drinking problem.

I think the whole bar/party scene is best avoided because of the presence of other elements in addition to the alcohol being served. Which is another issue again, although it seems that for some the one leads to the other.
0 x
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Josh wrote: I abstain... out of a desire not to be part of promoting something that causes the "least of these" in our society to deal with severe addiction problems.
That's the reason I thought private moderation might appeal to some folks, hence why I added it, but doesn't look to be the primary view held by those here. Interesting.
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

KingdomBuilder wrote:
Josh wrote: I abstain... out of a desire not to be part of promoting something that causes the "least of these" in our society to deal with severe addiction problems.
That's the reason I thought private moderation might appeal to some folks, hence why I added it, but doesn't look to be the primary view held by those here. Interesting.
It’s one of those things like private Netflix use that the outside world can view as complete hypocrisy if they find out about it. Hurts your witness.
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Post by Sudsy »

I guess if I am to follow the practise of Jesus and not be overly concerned about my testimony, I can go to weddings and hang out with people who drink wine. And Jesus did indulge in wine at what is known as the last supper. Actually Jesus first miracle recorded was to make 120-180 gallons of wine out of water, the best of wine usually given early to guests. It could be taken by some that Jesus was even promoting excessive drinking by making so much wine. And regarding the damage caused by alcohol, most folk drive cars that kill other people at times yet we don't stop driving cars and often over speed limits. :? :)

However, the scriptures also warn us on excessive drinking which appears to have been a problem in the Corinthian church and we are told to not be 'in your face' in areas where our brother may have a weakness that can harm him/her.

This is what Paul said to the Corinthians and I think it is good advice. Do everything to the glory of God. Although Jesus made a great amount of wine the attention was on the miracle not on Jesus promoting drinking. He hung out with 'wine bibbers' not to party down with them but to teach them truth unto salvation and He wasn't afraid of being falsely accused doing this, which He was falsely accused by the religious folk.

So if you eat, or if you drink, or if you do anything, do it for the glory of God. Never do anything that might make other people do wrong—Jews, non-Jews, or anyone in God’s church. I do the same thing. I try to please everyone in every way. I am not trying to do what is good for me. I am trying to do what is good for the most people so that they can be saved.

Myself, I don't make a practise of having to follow the norm when around the unchurched. I might have a beer or a glass of wine but may follow this up with a soft drink. My 'testimony', if you will, is that I don't need to drink alcohol anymore than I don't need a second piece of pie. All things in moderation unless spelled out in scripture as a specific sin (lying, slander, coveting, etc). I don't want the unchurched to get hung up on do and do nots which many think religion is all about.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
GaryK
Affiliation: Unaffiliated

Post by GaryK »

Sudsy wrote: And Jesus did indulge in wine at what is known as the last supper.
What translation do you have that states that wine was used at the last supper? Most of the ones I've looked at use "cup" and "fruit of the vine". I'm not disputing that wine was used - just asking if we can be certain from scripture that it was.
0 x
haithabu
Affiliation: Missionary Church

Post by haithabu »

GaryK wrote:
Sudsy wrote: And Jesus did indulge in wine at what is known as the last supper.
What translation do you have that states that wine was used at the last supper? Most of the ones I've looked at use "cup" and "fruit of the vine". I'm not disputing that wine was used - just asking if we can be certain from scripture that it was.
I don't wish to speak for Sudsy, but unless the Passover actually took place during the grape harvest that year, wine was certainly served because that was the only way to preserve grape juice.
0 x