Corporate Rule Of Life

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Corporate Rule Of Life

Post by Josh »

The real question is if there is a “rule of life” that can be unambiguously exigeted from the NT. I don’t think there is... the Christian life is plainly a lot more than abstaining from blood, meat sacrificed to idols, and sexual immorality. For starters, you have to define what those things even are!
0 x
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

Well, I was brave enough to say it. And you haven't denied the Matthew 18 implications. Reading Matthew 16 in the contest of those verses in Matthew 18 gives credence to my argument.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

The track record of Restorationism in trying to have be “pure New Testament” is likewise not very inspiring, with that movement decaying into myriad splits, adopting either a very liberal (DoC) or sectarian (CoC, ICoC) attitude, and in my view, eventually adding things to scripture whilst claiming not to (like their teaching that if you die before being fully immersed, you go to eternal hell).

Simply put, the New Testament isn’t a rule of life and isn’t a lawbook. It is, however, a way to learn about Jesus and have him transform your life. When a few people get together who are all being transformed by Jesus, a rule of life does appear.

For a few of my friends, that means zero alcohol, zero recreational drugs, and no passcodes on smartphones. Does the NT mandate those things? No. Do these people have incredible spiritual fruit from those practices? Absolutely.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Wade wrote:Is it possible that corporate rule does two things?

1. For some it exposes there heart and motives in being honest with ourselves and others rather than actual focus on the rule?
2. For some it is a place to hide there heart and motives with ourselves and others by focusing on the rule?

Didn't the Pharisees use the law to justify themselves while Christ used the law in the sermon on the mount to expose ours hearts?
There’s a huge difference between the Torah and Talmud, and the guidelines my own church’s conference decisions publish. For starters, we never claim the latter are scripture, nor do we claim they are required for salvation. The Pharisees did.
0 x
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Post by Wade »

Josh wrote:
Wade wrote:Is it possible that corporate rule does two things?

1. For some it exposes there heart and motives in being honest with ourselves and others rather than actual focus on the rule?
2. For some it is a place to hide there heart and motives with ourselves and others by focusing on the rule?

Didn't the Pharisees use the law to justify themselves while Christ used the law in the sermon on the mount to expose ours hearts?
There’s a huge difference between the Torah and Talmud, and the guidelines my own church’s conference decisions publish. For starters, we never claim the latter are scripture, nor do we claim they are required for salvation. The Pharisees did.
And over attention to the letter again easily misses the point...
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Josh wrote: When a few people get together who are all being transformed by Jesus, a rule of life does appear.
Yes. That is why I wrote the article. I get weary of people claiming that they don't believe in extra-biblical standards, and yet they have dozens of them. Somehow they convince themselves that if they don't identify them in a list or if they don't write them down, that they can then claim to not have a rule of life.

Even the most liberal have a corporate rule of life that goes like this, "No one at this church is allowed to judge anyone else. (Except for things like murdering people who have exited the womb, harrassing people sexually in the work place, etc.)"

Since all groups have a corporate rule of life, my appeal is that we go ahead and make it the best we can.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

Do we have Biblical authority to do so?
I think it depends on how one reads the Bible. Should the Bible be read like a title attorney would read a law book, or should it be read as a narrative that shows us what God's heart is on various matters?
I see Peter addressing things in his day like braiding gold thread into one's hair and I don't think the ladies back then who were doing this appreciated Peter any better than what ladies today would appreciate some male leader addressing the trimming or plucking of eye brows.
I think that the church today has the same privilege that Peter did.
... At what point our extraBiblical applications/legislations become Divine-command-violating-traditions such as Jesus warned about?
Whenever they are worded/taught in such a way as to give lip service to the letter of Jesus teaching, when the real intent of one's heart is to circumvent the heart of Jesus' teaching.
Last edited by Ernie on Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

Heirbyadoption wrote: So, to the quote questions, there seem to be 5 realistic possibilities. Where there is overlap from your article, Ernie, I apologize. And if I have missed it, I also apologize, but I didn't see your article address these so much as promoting the benefits and practicality of having a corporate rule of life. Perhaps I need to reread it more thoroughly? :oops:

1. The Scriptures explicitly teach the establishment of a corporate rule of life.
2. The Scriptures promote the benefits of the establishment of a corporate rule of life.
3. The Scriptures are silent on establishing a corporate rule of life.
4. The Scriptures caution against the dangers of the establishment of a corporate rule of life.
5. The Scriptures are explicit against establishing a corporate rule of life.
You missed mine. :)
1. The NT Scriptures imply that groups of people will establish a corporate rule of life, so why not acknowledge this and try to align it with the heart of Jesus as much as possible!
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

I’d like my rule of life to be established by my brethren who love and care about me instead of being established by the world, which is hostile to the gospel.
0 x
CADude
Affiliation: Consrvt. Anabaptist

Post by CADude »

lesterb wrote:The NT also states that no prophecy of the scripture is for private interpretation, which implies group interpretation.
The passage you're referring to here is commonly misunderstood and misinterpreted in KJV. Most translators and commentators seem to agree that its talking about how scripture came to exist.

New International Version
Above all, you must understand that no prophecy of Scripture came about by the prophet's own interpretation of things.

New Living Translation
Above all, you must realize that no prophecy in Scripture ever came from the prophet's own understanding,

English Standard Version
knowing this first of all, that no prophecy of Scripture comes from someone’s own interpretation.

Berean Study Bible
Above all, you must understand that no prophecy of Scripture comes from the prophet's own interpretation.

Berean Literal Bible
knowing this first, that any prophecy of Scripture is not of its own interpretation.

Holman Christian Standard Bible
First of all, you should know this: No prophecy of Scripture comes from one's own interpretation,

International Standard Version
First of all, you must understand this: No prophecy in Scripture is a matter of one's own interpretation,

NET Bible
Above all, you do well if you recognize this: No prophecy of scripture ever comes about by the prophet's own imagination,

Aramaic Bible in Plain English
While you first know this: No prophecy is its own exposition of the Scriptures.
0 x