Corporate Rule Of Life

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Re: Corporate Rule Of Life

Post by Hats Off »

Ernie wrote:
joshuabgood wrote:What about say "driving black cars" to protect Sunday from becoming an auto show? Is there any application based on an NT principle that you think would be too specific? Or so long as it is based on an NT principle it is ok?

For instance, is requiring a specific color, type and cut of veiling too specific? Is requiring people give all their money away except for a brotherhood specified housing allowance and other brotherhood specified budget categories? Are prohibitions against musical instruments ok?
I'm fine with any of these things as long as they pass these sorts of tests.
1. Is membership at this church truly voluntary, (a voluntary "order" that is hard to get in and easy to get out) or would the holy kiss and/or communion be withheld from a person if they decided to leave this church and not practice these things?
Our bishop greeted my son with the holy kiss after my son left our church and before he was accepted into his present church - my son wasn't asking for communion.
2. Does this church offer a good alternative for "those who are coming to God" and would find some of these things an unnecessary burden? (I'm not talking about simply referring people to a church down the street.)
The people who come to us drive whatever they are driving until they apply for membership at which time they want to drive a black vehicle. I don't have any experience but I believe if someone wanted membership and couldn't afford the paint job or a different vehicle, they would receive help, either from individuals or from the church.
3. Do these rules in this church truly help to crucify the flesh with its affections and lusts, or do they tend to feed the flesh and make one proud?
This will vary from person to person. The youth in our congregation seem to be satisfied with a car to drive; they appear to be satisfied even though their friends from other congregations drive big pickups or SUVs. Am I proud that I drive a basic compact 4 door and an old van? I don't think so and I would guess the same goes for the brothers in our congregation. Obviously somewhere we do have people that take pride in their newer SUV or classy black car, but many more seem to recognize the principal behind the black vehicles we drive.
0 x
joshuabgood
Affiliation: BMA

Re: Corporate Rule Of Life

Post by joshuabgood »

Ernie wrote:
joshuabgood wrote:What about say "driving black cars" to protect Sunday from becoming an auto show? Is there any application based on an NT principle that you think would be too specific? Or so long as it is based on an NT principle it is ok?

For instance, is requiring a specific color, type and cut of veiling too specific? Is requiring people give all their money away except for a brotherhood specified housing allowance and other brotherhood specified budget categories? Are prohibitions against musical instruments ok?
I'm fine with any of these things as long as they pass these sorts of tests.
1. Is membership at this church truly voluntary, (a voluntary "order" that is hard to get in and easy to get out) or would the holy kiss and/or communion be withheld from a person if they decided to leave this church and not practice these things?
2. Does this church offer a good alternative for "those who are coming to God" and would find some of these things an unnecessary burden? (I'm not talking about simply referring people to a church down the street.)
3. Do these rules in this church truly help to crucify the flesh with its affections and lusts, or do they tend to feed the flesh and make one proud?
Thx. I could live with that.

Once it becomes like my one young cousin mentioned, though we laughed about it..to my grandfather... "Christians don't have aerials on there cars"...it is going a bridge too far. And while I doubt his father had said that to him explicitly, still, more is caught than taught as they say and he internalized it.
0 x