"One True Church and related topics."

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Re: Seekers Gathering 2018?

Post by Ernie »

Josh wrote:
Ernie wrote:So I pray that the leaders of COGICM will come to the same realization that the WCOG leaders did and be willing to make this known publicly. People like you Josh can perhaps help this happen if you don't feel a need to defend this belief. We would even help you walk through this. That is the kind of thing that I would hope a seekers gathering could accomplish.
Do you really think I have that kind of power or influence over any kind of established Anabaptist church?
I'll respond to this since I did not make myself clear. No, I don' think I have that kind of power or influence. I'm not sure you or I could do anything. It is possible of course but I'm not counting on it.
What I meant to say is that we would be willing to give suggestions on how you might want to dialogue with the COGICM leaders if you had interest in seeing the one-true-church belief removed from their worldview. That is all I was offering.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Re: "One True Church and related topics."

Post by KingdomBuilder »

My big question is just how many CGCMs believe that they are the OTVC?
CoCs have been cited here a few times, but I have more interaction with CoCs than many do, and I understand that the official doctrine may be one of a One True Church, but the permeating reality is that many (most) of the members don't really hold fast to this.
Is it something similar in CGCM? If yes, I wouldn't have much of any bone to pick with the church.
Just like Im really not all that offended by CoC and I wouldn't be opposed to joining the right congregation of CoC if it were my best option.

Clearly this is directed to CGCM attendees/ members. Non-CGCMs will not really have the experience to truly answer this.
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

With the mention of CoC, ICoC, etc attending Anabaptist/Kingdom Fellowship conferences, I am wondering if they are there to proselytize others away from their denomination/congregation instead of seeking or learning? I would certainly hope they aren't there to do proselytizing and I understand Ernie's caution about such attendees. I can see where that would be very uncomfortable for the likeminded Anabaptists and Kingdom Fellowshippers.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

MaxPC wrote:With the mention of CoC, ICoC, etc attending Anabaptist/Kingdom Fellowship conferences, I am wondering if they are there to proselytize others away from their denomination/congregation instead of seeking or learning? I would certainly hope they aren't there to do proselytizing and I understand Ernie's caution about such attendees. I can see where that would be very uncomfortable for the likeminded Anabaptists and Kingdom Fellowshippers.
MaxPC,

The Roman Catholic Church also holds to one true church doctrine and is not in communion with Anabaptists. Would you care to comment on your position on the one true church?
0 x
Once Again

Post by Once Again »

It is very unusual for members of the CoC to attend non CoC religious gatherings. My guess is they read some of the writings of David Bercot or Finny Kuruvilla and got interested in the Kingdom Chirstian movement. Most of CoC theology is compatible with the Kingdom Christian movement; it is the lifestyle practices where the CoC fails badly.
0 x
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

Once Again wrote:It is very unusual for members of the CoC to attend non CoC religious gatherings. My guess is they read some of the writings of David Bercot or Finny Kuruvilla and got interested in the Kingdom Chirstian movement. Most of CoC theology is compatible with the Kingdom Christian movement; it is the lifestyle practices where the CoC fails badly.
Thank you, that makes sense. So their intent is not to proselytize?

I wonder if Charity type churches attend these events or do they stay "closer to home" so to speak?
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
Once Again

Post by Once Again »

MaxPC wrote:
Once Again wrote:It is very unusual for members of the CoC to attend non CoC religious gatherings. My guess is they read some of the writings of David Bercot or Finny Kuruvilla and got interested in the Kingdom Chirstian movement. Most of CoC theology is compatible with the Kingdom Christian movement; it is the lifestyle practices where the CoC fails badly.

I wonder if Charity type churches attend these events or do they stay "closer to home" so to speak?
I was not there, so I don't know, but I hope they were there to learn more. It is not a CoC practice to attend the meetings of other religious groups to proselytize.
0 x
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

Once Again wrote:
MaxPC wrote:

I was not there, so I don't know, but I hope they were there to learn more. It is not a CoC practice to attend the meetings of other religious groups to proselytize.
That's good to know. It would seem to be a distraction to proselytize when there's so much good preaching and teaching available.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Heirbyadoption
Affiliation: Brethren

Post by Heirbyadoption »

Josh wrote:
MaxPC wrote:With the mention of CoC, ICoC, etc attending Anabaptist/Kingdom Fellowship conferences, I am wondering if they are there to proselytize others away from their denomination/congregation instead of seeking or learning? I would certainly hope they aren't there to do proselytizing and I understand Ernie's caution about such attendees. I can see where that would be very uncomfortable for the likeminded Anabaptists and Kingdom Fellowshippers.
MaxPC,
The Roman Catholic Church also holds to one true church doctrine and is not in communion with Anabaptists. Would you care to comment on your position on the one true church?
I'd be very interested too, as Ernie's initial concern would hold true for Max too regarding involvement in the SG18. But...Max does have a tendency to answer questions rather selectively, so I wouldn't hold your breath. :?

Having said that, Josh, you mentioned in reply to me (back on page 2) that you believe and support the COGICM's teachings on the OTC doctrine as you understand it. I can appreciate that. For clarity in this conversation, since I'm willing to cede :oops: that I may be completely incorrect on what I've understood Holdeman theology to entail, could you simply share simply what you understand the OTC teaching to be as currently taught by the COGICM, specifically the understanding that you believe and support? Thanks.
0 x
KingdomBuilder

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Once Again wrote:Most of CoC theology is compatible with the Kingdom Christian movement; it is the lifestyle practices where the CoC fails badly.
Good point.
It doesn't make sense for CoC folks to attend an event to try and win people over.. It especially doesn't make sense for them to attend a mostly anabaptist event to try this.
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do