"One True Church and related topics."

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Re: "One True Church and related topics."

Post by MaxPC »

Heirbyadoption wrote: I'd be very interested too, as Ernie's initial concern would hold true for Max too regarding involvement in the SG18. But...Max does have a tendency to answer questions rather selectively, so I wouldn't hold your breath. :?
Heir, I answer questions that are sincere and aren't trying to bash or pick a fight. Some individuals I have blocked for that reason because they continue in a highly uncharitable manner and do not listen to answers.

For the record we don't believe we are OTC. Vat 2 changed the wording to clarify. We believe we are in apostolic succession from the original apostles which is a different concept altogether. That said, if I or another Catholic were interested in attending the SG18, we would only do so with permission of the organizers. If they would be uncomfortable with our presence, then we would not argue, whine or otherwise dispute their guidelines. Instead we would respectfully accept their concerns and not attend.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Once Again wrote:It is very unusual for members of the CoC to attend non CoC religious gatherings. My guess is they read some of the writings of David Bercot or Finny Kuruvilla and got interested in the Kingdom Chirstian movement. Most of CoC theology is compatible with the Kingdom Christian movement; it is the lifestyle practices where the CoC fails badly.
To be clear, people like from the Boston group or from CoC or ICoC backgrounds who attend AIC aren’t generally in a CoC congregation anymore. Whilst they like Anabaptism, they generally seek to convert Anabaptists to their specific beliefs (full immersion, salvation is only via full immersion, a specific form of evangelising, and belief that the one true church can be identified by full immersion and belief in salvation via full immersion).
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

MaxPC wrote:
Once Again wrote:It is very unusual for members of the CoC to attend non CoC religious gatherings. My guess is they read some of the writings of David Bercot or Finny Kuruvilla and got interested in the Kingdom Chirstian movement. Most of CoC theology is compatible with the Kingdom Christian movement; it is the lifestyle practices where the CoC fails badly.
Thank you, that makes sense. So their intent is not to proselytize?

I wonder if Charity type churches attend these events or do they stay "closer to home" so to speak?
KFW started as a Charity event and still has a very strong Charity identity.
0 x
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Post by Wade »

Josh wrote:
To be clear, people like from the Boston group or from CoC or ICoC backgrounds who attend AIC aren’t generally in a CoC congregation anymore. Whilst they like Anabaptism, they generally seek to convert Anabaptists to their specific beliefs (full immersion, salvation is only via full immersion, a specific form of evangelising, and belief that the one true church can be identified by full immersion and belief in salvation via full immersion).
Is there anyone from these mentioned groups on here that can confirm these generalizations?And is there anyone who can we trust as a qualfied spokesman for everyone in any group?
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Wade wrote:
Josh wrote:
Is there anyone from these mentioned groups on here that can confirm these generalizations?And is there anyone who can we trust as a qualfied spokesman for everyone in any group?
I've spoken to Matthew a few times, he seems like a decent guy but I haven't got into these specific questions with him. He didn't try to convert me to his way of thinking. With that being said, I know several people that will not see eye to eye with FotW over DR but would be almost the same (at least based on the sermons) with similar thinking. I'd say they by in large are anti-Mennonite doctrine, but not anti-Mennonite. Hopefully that difference makes sense.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

Soloist wrote:I'd say they by in large are anti-Mennonite doctrine, but not anti-Mennonite. Hopefully that difference makes sense.
I'm curious what that means.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

mike wrote:
Soloist wrote:I'd say they by in large are anti-Mennonite doctrine, but not anti-Mennonite. Hopefully that difference makes sense.
They like the people in the Mennonite churches, they think they are sincere but believe them to be misled or in legalism and cannot support the doctrines they would hold. Its more then that, but thats a basic idea.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

mike wrote:
I think that means that they disagree with some our our teachings, but still have a soft spot for Mennonite people. In their opinion we are just a little misguided but we mean well.
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

RZehr wrote:In their opinion we are just a little misguided but we mean well.
And I feel similarly about them which is why I count them as friends.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Post by Wade »

Ernie wrote:
RZehr wrote:In their opinion we are just a little misguided but we mean well.
And I feel similarly about them which is why I count them as friends.
Does this mean when Mennonites call outsiders "friends" that it is sign of disapproval?
0 x