Reasons For/Against Rebaptism

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Re: Reasons For/Against Rebaptism

Post by mike »

Heirbyadoption wrote:
mike wrote:Would your conference allow me the liberty to believe otherwise on the subject while submitting to their practice simply for the sake of joining the fellowship as a member?

Would your conference accept that those who do not hold their particular belief and practice are in fact true followers of Jesus?
Yes and yes.
I can respect that. I assume this would be one of the bigger distinctions between the NCs and OCs then?
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Heirbyadoption wrote:We have accepted outside immersions since our reorganization in 2009. It was formalized at our conference in 2013. There are some congregations who would hesitate to accept someone on previous single immersion, but all will accept previous trine immersion if someone is willing to make a verbal confession of their faith.
So it would be fair to say that the conservative position is not accepting outside baptisms, with more liberal groups like Grace Brethren having accepted outside triune baptism for a long time, New Conference only doing so recently, and Old Conference continuing the “conservative” position.

What position would groups like Dunkards, Old Order River Brethren, Petitioners, Old Brethren, and so forth hold?
0 x
Heirbyadoption
Affiliation: Brethren

Post by Heirbyadoption »

mike wrote:
Heirbyadoption wrote:
mike wrote:Would your conference allow me the liberty to believe otherwise on the subject while submitting to their practice simply for the sake of joining the fellowship as a member?

Would your conference accept that those who do not hold their particular belief and practice are in fact true followers of Jesus?
Yes and yes.
I can respect that. I assume this would be one of the bigger distinctions between the NCs and OCs then?
Yes, definitely.
0 x