Anointing as a sort of "Last Rites"

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Re: Anointing as a sort of "Last Rites"

Post by Hats Off »

One thing to remember is that the early Anabaptist writers wrote more about the areas where they disagreed with the state churches. If everyone practised anointing with oil then there was no need to write about it. The other possibility is that we don't really find out when it is practised because we don't really go around talking about it. This is a very private practise among old order Amish and Mennonites.
0 x
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by lesterb »

When you leave anointing to a "last resort" it tends to turn into a "last rite". I don't think that is what it was meant to be.
0 x
Heirbyadoption
Affiliation: Brethren

Post by Heirbyadoption »

Ernie wrote:
Heirbyadoption wrote:I suppose its a testament to our historical unAnabaptist side that our folks (Brethren) have used anointing since our organization in 1708. I confess I had simply assumed it was also part of Anabaptist culture in the 1600s/1700s. One can learn something every day. Is there truly no reference to it at all pre-1800s, or is that just when it became much more prevalent/public?

All the resources I've read about Mennonites say that little to nothing is written about it until the 1800's so it is not known how if and how much it was used. Do you know if it was more popular in Brethren circles at certain times in their history?
From what I can tell in our literary history, it has remained in constant use since our organization and does to this day.
0 x