Anabaptist approach to Global Warming/Climate Change

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Anabaptist approach to Global Warming/Climate Change

Post by Bootstrap »

Wayne in Maine wrote:In the end, if we are following Jesus with the result that we live simply, then Global Climate Change is not an issue. I cannot afford solar panels or a Tesla, or to purchase electricity off the grid from a "green" energy supplier. I keep my thermostat very (very!) low, have added insulation to my house, I use LED light bulbs (now that they are cheap) and have one low mileage in the family for long distance trips. All of these "green" practices are about thrift, not Global Warming.
Thrift often does lead to green practices. So does avoiding pollution as a general habit. Living simply and not claiming to know better than the scientists does not require political involvement. I suspect that might be the most consistent Anabaptist approach.
Wayne in Maine wrote:We would have to become politically involved to actually take actions (voting, signing petitions, boycotting businesses, etc.) that would have an impact as far as the issue of "Global Climate Change" is concerned - if one believed in any case that actions to reduce C02 emissions will actually make any positive impact on the biosphere or human civilization.
Yes, but I think that's equally true for the person who wants to campaign for or against climate change. I do vote, I'm not politically active beyond my participation on MN. When it comes down to it, I'm a whole lot more political because of MN than I would be if I were not here. So I appreciate a thread that avoids political framing and focuses on how we live out our lives in our own Kingdom.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?