Public Confessions: Where to draw the line?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Public Confessions: Where to draw the line?

Post by steve-in-kville »

This sort of a poll and open discussion wrapped into one.... are public confessions of sin and short-comings made at your church? Is it at any given time or just before Lovefeast/communion? And where should the line be? I've heard of churches asking for confessions over speeding tickets and such like. Heard of sexual/immoral sins confessed. Some groups its not a big deal, some groups thrive on it.

Discuss.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Re: Public Confessions: Where to draw the line?

Post by Sudsy »

Personally I'm not in favour of public confessions unless it fits a sin where the sinner is not willing to acknowledge their sin after being confronted with it one on one, then with more than one (a witness) and then it brought to the church. A public confession then would be appropriate or if still unrepentant a shunning of a sort be taken. Have I ever seen this occur ? No.

Here is a text regarding sickness and healing where confessing our sins to one another may result in avoiding some sickness.

And the prayer offered in faith will restore the one who is sick. The Lord will raise him up. If he has sinned, he will be forgiven. Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed - James 5:16.

In our 'life groups' (small under a dozen home study groups), this confession occurs and is used to focus on where to pray for each other. Imo, if we honestly brought all our sinning before the church in a public manner, we would never end the meeting.

I think this text in James is an area we, in general, don't take serious enough. Like the warning on taking communion irreverently. It seems we can remove some protection from physical sickness when we hold unto unconfessed sins.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Public confessions are best kept vague. It’s good to hear other people have struggles and also that they’ve overcome them.
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Josh wrote:Public confessions are best kept vague.
Explain your thought process behind that. I'm curious why you mentioned this!
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

steve-in-kville wrote:
Josh wrote:Public confessions are best kept vague.
Explain your thought process behind that. I'm curious why you mentioned this!
I agree with Josh. Too many details create mind-pictures that might be as bad as seeing it happen. The other side of the question, of course, is the speculation, even if not discussed, that might follow a vague confession. But generally speaking, I do not want to hear any details.

Confessions that only follow 'getting caught' create questions of "What if you were never caught, would you have confronted this behavior in your life? Confessed it to anyone?" And if the confession includes a lot of stuff like "It's every man's weakness", then it can sound like making excuses, or saying, "I actually think every one here is guilty of this same sin - they just didn't get caught like I did." (This happens especially if the activity is not only sinful, but illegal as well.)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by lesterb »

First, I think that sin should be confessed as far as it has influenced people. Some things can be confessed to your wife, and somethings to God. If you cheated someone, you need to make it right. If the testimony of the church is hindered by what you have done, then you should probably confess it publicly.

Second, I think that if you can't get victory over a sin, then you need to confess it so that you can get the help you need.

I think we need to remember that it isn't the confession that gets us forgiveness. Repentance gets us forgiveness. Confession is part of the restitution process.

On the other hand, there is some pressure at our church that if you have truly repented you will name the sin publicly. I tend to feel like Neto. I remember years ago we had a set of meetings where the minister really emphasized confession, and a girl got up and made a confession that I really struggled with, for a long time. It would have been much better for her to simply acknowledge that she had not been living in victory and leave it at that. I doubt that I was the only man there who had some extra struggles because of that confession.

Along with that, some people will avoid confessing that they are facing a struggle because they know that they are expected to name the sin. I do think that we should confess to someone who has the wisdom to give us good advice.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

lesterb wrote:First, I think that sin should be confessed as far as it has influenced people. Some things can be confessed to your wife, and somethings to God. If you cheated someone, you need to make it right. If the testimony of the church is hindered by what you have done, then you should probably confess it publicly.

Second, I think that if you can't get victory over a sin, then you need to confess it so that you can get the help you need.

I think we need to remember that it isn't the confession that gets us forgiveness. Repentance gets us forgiveness. Confession is part of the restitution process.

On the other hand, there is some pressure at our church that if you have truly repented you will name the sin publicly. I tend to feel like Neto. I remember years ago we had a set of meetings where the minister really emphasized confession, and a girl got up and made a confession that I really struggled with, for a long time. It would have been much better for her to simply acknowledge that she had not been living in victory and leave it at that. I doubt that I was the only man there who had some extra struggles because of that confession.

Along with that, some people will avoid confessing that they are facing a struggle because they know that they are expected to name the sin. I do think that we should confess to someone who has the wisdom to give us good advice.
:up:
0 x
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

lesterb wrote:First, I think that sin should be confessed as far as it has influenced people. Some things can be confessed to your wife, and somethings to God. If you cheated someone, you need to make it right. If the testimony of the church is hindered by what you have done, then you should probably confess it publicly.
Yes, this is what I believe. So in a church a sin that was committed publicly, like saying false negative things about another member, should be confessed to the same circle.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

The ministry / staff at church are a big help with this.

So is a trusted brother in the Lord. Sometimes it’s best to talk to someone with a bit of distance away who isn’t close to the situation. That’s why it’s good to have relationships with people in sister churches.

I have been blessed when someone sought my counsel who isn’t in my home church.
0 x
CADude
Affiliation: Consrvt. Anabaptist

Post by CADude »

I think public confession is mostly a good thing, and sometimes some detail can be beneficial. Let me explain.

First off, if you've wronged someone or a group of people, confessing to them in true penitence and humility is most likely the right thing to do. I'm guessing that this thread is probably more about making "public" confessions of sins that are more hidden or secret, and not necessarily harming or affecting another person. With that in mind, I still think that public confession can be a very good thing. The Bible says to confess our faults and I don't know if "faults" here are different from "sins". We do find people confessing their sins when John the Baptist was baptizing people and it would appear that was at least somewhat of a public confession.

I think "public" confessions are probably best done among your friends, family, coworkers, etc., or else with the immediate membership at your local church/congregation. There would preferably be a mutual respect for your privacy, i.e., it's best if people love each other enough that they forgive and don't gossip about the confessions. I realize this isn't always the case, but I don't think that necessarily frees us from the need to make confession.

I don't think anyone can dispute that it takes humility to confess your faults or sins and it seems like the very act itself is what makes us more humble. Simply thinking about doesn't have the same effect as actually doing it.

Confession within the local church can serve to unite people. For better or for worse, it can also help one feel a little better about themselves to find out that others face the same temptations and sins that you do. When everyone begins to realize that others are not as perfect as they thought, people should/will feel a closer bond. This, of course, assumes that charity and grace are at work in the lives of others. Those who do not have the love of God in their lives will likely not find confession to bring about the same "bond of love".

Confession may also help prevent us from falling into the same sins. It's embarrassing to have to keep confessing the same things, isn't it?

I admit I think there are some private sins that should probably not be confessed in a very public setting, unless there is some particular reason or need to do so. These things are probably best confessed to a few close Christian friends you have confidence in, and maybe even that isn't necessary.
0 x