Public Confessions: Where to draw the line?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Re: Public Confessions: Where to draw the line?

Post by Hats Off »

I heard of a situation where several couples made confession for impure courtship - many years ago. The bishop advised the people that this is not always necessary - some things can be forgiven between God and the sinner.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

The pendulum can swing toward public confessions when there is a breakdown of trust in the leadership. When people perceive that sin is not being dealt with or when people believe that certain peoples sins are being treated differently, it is better to have openness. I think the pendulum can swing too far in both directions.
0 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

CADude wrote:I think public confession is mostly a good thing, and sometimes some detail can be beneficial. Let me explain.

First off, if you've wronged someone or a group of people, confessing to them in true penitence and humility is most likely the right thing to do. I'm guessing that this thread is probably more about making "public" confessions of sins that are more hidden or secret, and not necessarily harming or affecting another person. With that in mind, I still think that public confession can be a very good thing. The Bible says to confess our faults and I don't know if "faults" here are different from "sins". We do find people confessing their sins when John the Baptist was baptizing people and it would appear that was at least somewhat of a public confession.

I think "public" confessions are probably best done among your friends, family, coworkers, etc., or else with the immediate membership at your local church/congregation. There would preferably be a mutual respect for your privacy, i.e., it's best if people love each other enough that they forgive and don't gossip about the confessions. I realize this isn't always the case, but I don't think that necessarily frees us from the need to make confession.

I don't think anyone can dispute that it takes humility to confess your faults or sins and it seems like the very act itself is what makes us more humble. Simply thinking about doesn't have the same effect as actually doing it.

Confession within the local church can serve to unite people. For better or for worse, it can also help one feel a little better about themselves to find out that others face the same temptations and sins that you do. When everyone begins to realize that others are not as perfect as they thought, people should/will feel a closer bond. This, of course, assumes that charity and grace are at work in the lives of others. Those who do not have the love of God in their lives will likely not find confession to bring about the same "bond of love".

Confession may also help prevent us from falling into the same sins. It's embarrassing to have to keep confessing the same things, isn't it?

I admit I think there are some private sins that should probably not be confessed in a very public setting, unless there is some particular reason or need to do so. These things are probably best confessed to a few close Christian friends you have confidence in, and maybe even that isn't necessary.
I think that the reasons for NOT including very much detail are not so much to protect one's own privacy, or reputation, but out of consideration for the hearers - to avoid creating unnecessary temptations for your fellow Christians through details that lead to clear visualization of the conduct being confessed. Sometimes confession of sins can be done for selfish reasons - possibly so as to "feel more forgiven". I think someone else already stressed the importance of repentance over confession. (Both are important, but confessions can sometimes be made w/o repentance.)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
CADude
Affiliation: Consrvt. Anabaptist

Post by CADude »

Neto wrote: I think that the reasons for NOT including very much detail are not so much to protect one's own privacy, or reputation, but out of consideration for the hearers - to avoid creating unnecessary temptations for your fellow Christians through details that lead to clear visualization of the conduct being confessed. Sometimes confession of sins can be done for selfish reasons - possibly so as to "feel more forgiven". I think someone else already stressed the importance of repentance over confession. (Both are important, but confessions can sometimes be made w/o repentance.)
Right, confession purely as self-punishment is not Biblical. I think that would be the sorrow of the world that Paul talks about.
0 x