The Role of Satire, Parody, and Sarcasm in Faith

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Adam
Affiliation: Kingdom Christian

The Role of Satire, Parody, and Sarcasm in Faith

Post by Adam »

A Christian author that I have read recently made the following post on his public Facebook page:
I learned from a Facebook Holiness preacher that, because I’ve been divorced and remarried, I'm living in adultery with my current wife, but only as long as my former spouse is still alive. And if my former spouse is still alive when I die, I will go to hell as an adulterer.

Not wanting to lose my salvation, I considered all the alternatives, including divorcing my Christian wife, the mother of our seven children, which is what the Facebook preacher said God requires. But in the end, I did the only logical thing to do. I made sure that that I will out-live my ex-wife. Of course, I led her in the sinner’s prayer before I poisoned her.

It feels so good to be holy.
(NOTE: The author of the post is not actually divorced and remarried.)

While I can understand people taking different approaches to the very difficult subject of divorce and remarriage, I was quite disturbed by the tone of this post due to its sarcasm and mean-spirited satire. Later, however, I found myself reading the Bablyon Bee and laughing at satirical and sarcastic articles. It struck me as inconsistent to be offended by the Facebook post and then laughing at Bablyon Bee articles using the same sort of approach. As a pondered the issue, it seemed to me that it is inappropriate for us as Christians to laugh and joke about sin. But satire, parody, and sarcasm, often seems to do just that--laugh at sin. Rather, I think we should mourn over sin and never ever take it lightly or joke about it. Rather we should work out our own salvation with fear and trembling.

What do you think? As Christians should we avoid the use of Satire, Parody, and Sarcasm, especially when it relates to discussing sin? Can you think of any instances in the Bible where Satire, Parody, and/or Sarcasm are employed as a godly means to counteract sin?

Finally please note that I DO NOT want to discuss divorce and remarriage on this thread. I am simply using the post on that topic as an example.
0 x
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Re: The Role of Satire, Parody, and Sarcasm in Faith

Post by Wade »

I like to joke and have on MN. :shock:

However, besides someone possibly making a point, I would feel that joking about sin is often a form of accepting it. Or could it be considered jesting? As in Ephesians 5:4.

Joking about lukewarmness reminds me of God throwing up...
0 x
Adam
Affiliation: Kingdom Christian

Post by Adam »

Wade wrote:I like to joke and have on MN.
Just to clarify, I am not talking about all joking. I think there are many things that are perfectly acceptable to laugh about. But I am focusing specifically on joking and laughter that makes light of sin and its terrible effects or that seems to mock others who might interpret the Scriptures differently than we do. We should be able to state our beliefs about Scripture without mocking others who hold to different viewpoints.

There was a post in the "I think it is funny" forum from the Bablyon Bee about hymnals changing the words from "I surrender all" to "I surrender some" (http://forum.mennonet.com/viewtopic.php ... 160#p22584). This pokes fun at the fact that Christians are increasingly less willing to surrender their entire lives to God. Is this something that we should be laughing about or is it something we should be mourning about? Part of me sees the humor and laughs, but the other part of me is deeply concerned. And I am concerned about myself that there is a part of me that wants to laugh at all.

Jesus says, "Woe to you who laugh now, for you shall mourn and weep." I don't think Jesus is talking about every form of laughter, but I do think he is addressing those who laugh in the face of sin and moral corruption.
0 x
Wade

Post by Wade »

Adam wrote:
Wade wrote:I like to joke and have on MN.
Just to clarify, I am not talking about all joking. I think there are many things that are perfectly acceptable to laugh about. But I am focusing specifically on joking and laughter that makes light of sin and its terrible effects or that seems to mock others who might interpret the Scriptures differently than we do. We should be able to state our beliefs about Scripture without mocking others who hold to different viewpoints.

There was a post in the "I think it is funny" forum from the Bablyon Bee about hymnals changing the words from "I surrender all" to "I surrender some" (http://forum.mennonet.com/viewtopic.php ... 160#p22584). This pokes fun at the fact that Christians are increasingly less willing to surrender their entire lives to God. Is this something that we should be laughing about or is it something we should be mourning about? Part of me sees the humor and laughs, but the other part of me is deeply concerned. And I am concerned about myself that there is a part of me that wants to laugh at all.

Jesus says, "Woe to you who laugh now, for you shall mourn and weep." I don't think Jesus is talking about every form of laughter, but I do think he is addressing those who laugh in the face of sin and moral corruption.
In regards to the "Surrender some," the thought that comes to mind is God spewing those lukewarm ones out of His mouth. That is something we should mourn over, I think. Not funny.
0 x
CADude
Affiliation: Consrvt. Anabaptist

Post by CADude »

I can't go along with using humor to make light of sin, unless there is a turning to the seriousness of it almost at the same moment.

This little joke/story posted above could easily be used in some kind of classroom setting to discuss moral dilemmas or conundrums. Could the man poison his ex-wife, then repent of murder and be more acceptable to God than he was when his ex-wife was alive?

In the church I'm part of our preachers generally do not use much humor in their sermons and I prefer it that way. Aside from making light of sin (which I do think is a terrible thing to do), usage of humor often draws attention to the speaker more than drawing attention to the Word of God.

Right now I can't think of one place in the Scripture where satire or sarcasm is used to make a point. That tells us a little something, doesn't it?
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

I don't like joking about sin. Does Babylon Bee ever do this?
From what I remember, BB jokes about Christian blindspots, inconsistencies and hypocrisies and this seems more acceptable to me but I don't know if the Bible writers actually do this.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

I would say that one needs to be careful of what the intention behind the satire is. Paul uses some pretty crude language sometimes to get his point across. For instance, when talking about the 'party of the circumcision' who were trying to get Gentile Christians under that bit of the Law, he suggests that they should "go the whole way, and cut themselves off". There is double meaning there, I think; the obvious one applies to the physical act of self-emasculation, and then there is the meaning of 'cutting themselves off from the people of God'. (I believe the latter was the meaning he wanted to convey, but some readers might never see past the 'joke'.)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

I think jesting is one of those KJV words that has taken on a different meaning over the years.
I believe in the past it meant to talk in a coarse/dirty way. Telling dirty jokes would be a kind of jesting.
Today jesting as we understand the word can be clean, or good natured.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Ernie wrote:I don't like joking about sin. Does Babylon Bee ever do this?
From what I remember, BB jokes about Christian blindspots, inconsistencies and hypocrisies and this seems more acceptable to me but I don't know if the Bible writers actually do this.
I agree. BB uses satire and parody as a vehicle/method for teaching about weaknesses and inconsistencies. It's a gentler approach than a hellfire and brimstone pounding on the pulpit and in my opinion, I see it as a better way to get someone's attention who needs to think on those topics. Of course, satire and parody need to be used with follow-up cues for those who don't understand what a parody or satire is trying to do.

On the other hand, sarcasm is a form of hostility. It's definition is the use of irony to mock or convey contempt. Sarcasm is not an effective or appropriate tool for teaching about the Kingdom as it serves only one purpose: to put down the dignity of another as a form of elevating oneself as superior.
YMMV.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Wade

Post by Wade »

MaxPC wrote:
Ernie wrote:I don't like joking about sin. Does Babylon Bee ever do this?
I agree. BB uses satire and parody as a vehicle/method for teaching about weaknesses and inconsistencies. It's a gentler approach than a hellfire and brimstone pounding on the pulpit and in my opinion, I see it as a better way to get someone's attention who needs to think on those topics. Of course, satire and parody need to be used with follow-up cues for those who don't understand what a parody or satire is trying to do.

On the other hand, sarcasm is a form of hostility. It's definition is the use of irony to mock or convey contempt. Sarcasm is not an effective or appropriate tool for teaching about the Kingdom as it serves only one purpose: to put down the dignity of another as a form of elevating oneself as superior.
YMMV.
Proverbs 26:18-19 (ESV) seems to say the same but even more strongly relating it to throwing weapons of war:

18 Like a madman who throws firebrands, arrows, and death
19 is the man who deceives his neighbor
and says, “I am only joking."
0 x