The Role of Satire, Parody, and Sarcasm in Faith

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Re: The Role of Satire, Parody, and Sarcasm in Faith

Post by Robert »

CADude wrote: Right now I can't think of one place in the Scripture where satire or sarcasm is used to make a point. That tells us a little something, doesn't it?
Many of Jesus' parables carried a tone of satire.

[bible]luke 13,31-32[/bible]

Calling Herod a "fox" is such an example.

Parables are stories that are usually fictional used to tell a truth. Some stories use humor and parody to help connect it to the audience.

Satire is a form of parody and story telling that allows one to say something in a different way to gain the connection of the audience. Hyperbole comes to mind also. It is used in similar form.

Sarcasm is a more passive aggressive action. Not really that good of a thing. I use it often.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

Well, speaking of sarcasm...

Now, THAT is funny!
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Post by Sudsy »

I think Elijah was pretty sarcastic here about sin - [bible]1 Kings 18,27[/bible]

Anyway, in general, I don't believe it is God honoring to be making a joke or getting a laugh out of a sinful action. When I have done this, I believe I'm just giving in to my old nature and not 'putting off' the old man. I enjoy making others laugh and sometimes do what I have later felt 'crossed the line' to get a laugh and had to repent.

Ephesians 5 points to the source of our joy being found by being continually filled with the Holy Spirit, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs among yourselves, and making music to the Lord in your hearts. And give thanks for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. And Kingdom life is an abundant life of right living, joy and peace in the Holy Spirit. Christianity certainly isn't meant to be a dull, unjoyful, burdensome experience. Jesus came to give us abundant life. Joy and peace of the kind that the world does not experience.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Jesus sometimes used sarcasm, especially against religious authorities and the self-righteous. Here's one good example:

[quote="Luke 13:33"]Yet I must travel today, tomorrow, and the next day, because it is not possible for a prophet to perish outside of Jerusalem! [/quote]

The sarcasm is clear and biting - if you are a true prophet, you are going to die in Jerusalem. It's not a giggle, it's a punch in the gut. After the sarcasm, he turns to mourning. I think the NLT captures this passage well.

[quote]At that time some Pharisees said to him, “Get away from here if you want to live! Herod Antipas wants to kill you!”

Jesus replied, “Go tell that fox that I will keep on casting out demons and healing people today and tomorrow; and the third day I will accomplish my purpose. Yes, today, tomorrow, and the next day I must proceed on my way. For it wouldn’t do for a prophet of God to be killed except in Jerusalem!

“O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the city that kills the prophets and stones God’s messengers! How often I have wanted to gather your children together as a hen protects her chicks beneath her wings, but you wouldn’t let me. And now, look, your house is abandoned. And you will never see me again until you say, ‘Blessings on the one who comes in the name of the Lord!’”[/quote]
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Post by Wade »

Hmm... I thought a fox in a hen house was more pictoral than sarcasm? But maybe I am misunderstanding?
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Wade wrote:Hmm... I thought a fox in a hen house was more pictoral than sarcasm? But maybe I am misunderstanding?
That's not the part I am calling sarcasm. This is:
For it wouldn’t do for a prophet of God to be killed except in Jerusalem!
There are many more examples involving the Pharisees.
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Adam wrote:As a pondered the issue, it seemed to me that it is inappropriate for us as Christians to laugh and joke about sin. But satire, parody, and sarcasm, often seems to do just that--laugh at sin. Rather, I think we should mourn over sin and never ever take it lightly or joke about it. Rather we should work out our own salvation with fear and trembling.

What do you think? As Christians should we avoid the use of Satire, Parody, and Sarcasm, especially when it relates to discussing sin? Can you think of any instances in the Bible where Satire, Parody, and/or Sarcasm are employed as a godly means to counteract sin?
It's hard to discuss one post taken out of context without seeing what the others were saying, but I don't get the impression he is laughing, I think he is calling out something he believes is wrong. There's a bite to what he is saying. He thinks they have misunderstood the teaching of the Bible and is using biting humor to point that out.

I think Jesus does this when speaking out against self-righteous sin in verses like these:
  • You blind guides, straining out a gnat and swallowing a camel!
  • “Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you clean the outside of the cup and the plate, but inside they are full of greed and self-indulgence. You blind Pharisee! First clean the inside of the cup and the plate, that the outside also may be clean.
  • “Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you are like whitewashed tombs, which outwardly appear beautiful, but within are full of dead people's bones and all uncleanness. So you also outwardly appear righteous to others, but within you are full of hypocrisy and lawlessness.
  • For it wouldn’t do for a prophet of God to be killed except in Jerusalem!
Those are vivid, humorous images, but each one has a bite.

And perhaps this has the same biting humor:
  • Let him who is without sin among you be the first to throw a stone at her.
I think your concern is valid - it's easy to get stuck in this kind of speech, which can get quite toxic. Some groups of Christians do get stuck in this. It rarely goes well on a forum thread.

But I also think it's true that Jesus uses it at times. And we're often most sensitive to this kind of biting humor when it is pointed in our direction, many people seem not even to notice it when they are directing it toward others.
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

I survive on humor, sarcasm and wit. With the things our family has been through in the last number of years, I have too.

I like to tell people I tried to make a career out of being an alcoholic. But failed as sponsors are really hard to find. It helps break the ice when I give people my testimony, even though there is nothing funny about addiction.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

If one prefers non-sarcasm, there is a story that goes around in Holdeman circles about a Beachy mission in Malawi (where polygamy is quite common) where the missionary taught one had to leave all their wives except the first one. So a native who wanted to join the church reported to the missionary one day that he had had all his wives killed so he was ready to join the church now.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Wade wrote:
MaxPC wrote:
Ernie wrote:I don't like joking about sin. Does Babylon Bee ever do this?
From what I remember, BB jokes about Christian blindspots, inconsistencies and hypocrisies and this seems more acceptable to me but I don't know if the Bible writers actually do this.
I agree. BB uses satire and parody as a vehicle/method for teaching about weaknesses and inconsistencies. It's a gentler approach than a hellfire and brimstone pounding on the pulpit and in my opinion, I see it as a better way to get someone's attention who needs to think on those topics. Of course, satire and parody need to be used with follow-up cues for those who don't understand what a parody or satire is trying to do.

On the other hand, sarcasm is a form of hostility. It's definition is the use of irony to mock or convey contempt. Sarcasm is not an effective or appropriate tool for teaching about the Kingdom as it serves only one purpose: to put down the dignity of another as a form of elevating oneself as superior.
YMMV.
Proverbs 26:18-19 (ESV) seems to say the same but even more strongly relating it to throwing weapons of war:

18 Like a madman who throws firebrands, arrows, and death
19 is the man who deceives his neighbor
and says, “I am only joking."
Good one, Wade. :up: :up:

It ties in with all the verses in the NT regarding our speech behaviors. The book of James is forthright about it especially.
Sudsy wrote: Anyway, in general, I don't believe it is God honoring to be making a joke or getting a laugh out of a sinful action. When I have done this, I believe I'm just giving in to my old nature and not 'putting off' the old man. I enjoy making others laugh and sometimes do what I have later felt 'crossed the line' to get a laugh and had to repent.

Ephesians 5 points to the source of our joy being found by being continually filled with the Holy Spirit, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs among yourselves, and making music to the Lord in your hearts. And give thanks for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. And Kingdom life is an abundant life of right living, joy and peace in the Holy Spirit. Christianity certainly isn't meant to be a dull, unjoyful, burdensome experience. Jesus came to give us abundant life. Joy and peace of the kind that the world does not experience.
Amen and amen :D
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God