Evening Family Routine?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Evening Family Routine?

Post by steve-in-kville »

Seems like with the increasingly hectic lifestyles, the abundance of technology and general lack of strong families, I am becoming more and more concerned with how families are growing apart. I even see this among our own church circles. Dad has second job and/or side enterprises to contend with in the evenings, mom is busy with household stuff. Youth have endless activites.... and when they don't they are on their phones/devices!

So what do we do? What does your typical evening routine look like at home? Family devotions at a set time? Supper on the table at a set time? Lights out at a set time? Please share and discuss!
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Re: Evening Family Routine?

Post by MaxPC »

Steve, I can share what we do as Plain Catholics. We "own" our responsibility and role as parents. From the outset we set down the priorities for the family schedule and take control of that time to fulfill those priorities. We are the parents: we decide that the family time and togetherness only takes second place to God. Everything else in our lives must serve God and the family.

It's an unusual aspect of American society that the pressure is on parents to have their children participate in so many extracurricular activities outside of the family circle. The "fear of missing out" is a very real pressure from society and peers.

We believe that too many extracurricular activities are just as disruptive as television or other distractions. We don't give our children "devices". If a teen has a cell phone because of a part time job, it's very basic and doesn't receive text messages or have internet capability. It's strictly for emergencies and contact with the parents. We've been hearing from parents all over that sometimes there are threatening text messages from other teens as another version of bullying. If the teen doesn't have a part time job, there's no need for a cell phone. Teen recreation activities are accompanied by their parents so there is no need for the teen to have a phone.

We do try to have supper on the table at the same time every night with the family together. Many families have allowed outside activities take precedence over family time. This is the cause of the "fractured family syndrome" in our society.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Re: Evening Family Routine?

Post by RZehr »

The father must show leadership first by example, and also by rank. Just say no, we are/aren't going to do that/this.
0 x