Anabaptist Remembrance Day

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Re: Anabaptist Remembrance Day

Post by Wade »

If rememberance is about freedom, then we remember Christ as He is only One in whom we have freedom.
0 x
Adam
Affiliation: Kingdom Christian

Post by Adam »

It would seem much more appropriate to remember those who have died in service to the Kingdom of God rather than those who have died in service to the kingdoms of this world.
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Wade wrote:If rememberance is about freedom, then we remember Christ as He is only One in whom we have freedom.
Although this is certainly true- there are people who live in countries where they are not free to worship Christ- and there have always been evil dictators, and communist countries, and indeed even our own country many fled to, to be able to worship Christ freely, because they were not able to elsewhere-

It's hard for us to identify with those who are in countries where they are not 'free'- although most who have fought for this freedom in America, some have done so with the right heart involved even if we disagree theologically about that- they viewed it as a way to allow others to truly be free and provide a land where the persecuted could flee to-

Free from sin, free to worship.
We probably won't have the second freedom too much longer in this land we live as the Lord tarries.
0 x
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Post by Wade »

Valerie wrote:
Wade wrote:If rememberance is about freedom, then we remember Christ as He is only One in whom we have freedom.
Although this is certainly true- there are people who live in countries where they are not free to worship Christ- and there have always been evil dictators, and communist countries, and indeed even our own country many fled to, to be able to worship Christ freely, because they were not able to elsewhere-

It's hard for us to identify with those who are in countries where they are not 'free'- although most who have fought for this freedom in America, some have done so with the right heart involved even if we disagree theologically about that- they viewed it as a way to allow others to truly be free and provide a land where the persecuted could flee to-

Free from sin, free to worship.
We probably won't have the second freedom too much longer in this land we live as the Lord tarries.
Christ never had "religious freedom."

What is freedom?
I see a country (Canada) encouraging killing of babies through abortion, assisted suicide legalized, homosexuals and transgenders get held up on a pedestal so high that children are allowed to choose their gender each day and can use whichever bathroom they deem fitting for them, children and elderly are left to themselves at the nearest "care" dropoff, immoral behaviour is encouraged embraced and deemed as a necessity, drug and alcohol abuse as a normal everyday passtime for respected members of society, and the list goes on and on...

We live in a country where people are in severe bondage and the only release is Christ. This false perception of "religious freedom" that Christian's tote makes others think they are free too... When they are not free outside of Christ.

We don't have religious freedom because of outward circumstances. Look at Daniel in Scripture, he was not joined with the country he was in because he was "free" to worship God no matter how others tried to stop him.

We have religious freedom because Christ dwells within. Look at the early Christian's in scripture singing praises to God while chained up in prison.
Look at those Anabaptists being burn and killed while smiling and singing.
And look at Christ. How could He give us something He didn't have?! He didn't have "religious freedom," so can He not give us freedom?
People are not impressed by our leanness and freedom to choose whatever we want. They do the same.
I am not endorsing looking to encourage suffering to us Christian's but rather living for God despite our lives.
And it is when we are willing to suffer for Christ's sake that note is taken. And Christ's willingness to suffer for a pitiful sinner like me when I was still in bondage impresses me in rememberance of His non-resistance. Not because He was a week pacifist but rather strong Love motivated His salvation of us into His kingdom.
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Post by Sudsy »

My positive thought on how we could use remembrance day -

Although this remembering is a day to honour the fallen and a two minutes of silence at 11 AM is the practise, the traditional services also witnessed occasional calls to remember the horror of war and to embrace peace. Two minutes of silence, the playing of the Last Post, the recitation of In Flanders Fields, and the wearing of poppies became the ceremony for many.

Some here have indicated we should not participate in Christmas and/or Easter because of how the world (or how many most kingdoms of this world) do not honour these days as we do (or as some of us try to keep it Christ centered). But for those who do celebrate these, is remembrance celebration not also an opportunity, in our altered way, to emphasize that this day points out the horror in wars and that the only real peace is found in the Prince of Peace, Jesus Christ. That this Jesus someday will return and establish this world wide peace but until then, wars and killing will continue. Meanwhile each one of us can experience peace regardless of what warring man makes with each other. A message somewhat like that.

Imo, we should look for all opportunities to share where we believe freedom and peace are found and not get overly concerned about those who falsely accuse us of supporting something like violence. Jesus said when they say all manner of evil against us falsely to rejoice and be glad.

I sometimes think we are so reputation conscious that we miss out on some open doors to reach others. Thoughts ?
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
CADude
Affiliation: Consrvt. Anabaptist

Post by CADude »

Wade wrote: We have religious freedom because Christ dwells within.
I think I agree with you in concept but would challenge your word choice. I thought religious freedom is usually defined as the freedom to practice your religious beliefs without persecution.

The freedom generally referenced in the scriptures is something totally different. I call that Biblical or Christian freedom, freedom in Christ. It has nothing to do with anything external or material.

Os Guinness makes a point that "freedom is not holy" and he's talking about the freedoms one might enjoy in their country/state. I think he's right, and probably one reason I'd be a bit careful about the kind of meeting be discussed in this thread. The battle for truth is not fought with the sword or the gun.
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Anabaptist Remembrance Day is a day to remember that we are Anabaptists. I think Ohio Jones had it right, remembering the martyrs and saints that went before us is a great way to do that. And giving thanks for our freedom.

I don't think we should celebrate our freedom by honoring and thanking those who did what we believe the Bible forbids. And frankly, I suspect that many soldiers have died in wars that did little to give us freedom and may not have been justified.

Perhaps we could remember Joseph and Michael Hofer, whose martyrdom lead directly to our religious freedom in America today. Backstory Radio had an excellent segment on this.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Post by Sudsy »

Bootstrap wrote:Anabaptist Remembrance Day is a day to remember that we are Anabaptists. I think Ohio Jones had it right, remembering the martyrs and saints that went before us is a great way to do that. And giving thanks for our freedom.

I don't think we should celebrate our freedom by honoring and thanking those who did what we believe the Bible forbids. And frankly, I suspect that many soldiers have died in wars that did little to give us freedom and may not have been justified.

Perhaps we could remember Joseph and Michael Hofer, whose martyrdom lead directly to our religious freedom in America today. Backstory Radio had an excellent segment on this.
So, are any Anabaptists doing this ? Having a specific day in the year called 'Anabaptist Remembrance Day' and doing as the outlined suggests ? Traditions begin somewhere so why not promote the beginning of a new Anabaptist tradition ? Perhaps this could be a step to develop more unity among Anabaptists.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

It would just be one more place to disagree. You want to start something new?? What about tradition?? :lol:
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Hats Off wrote:It would just be one more place to disagree.
I disagree :j
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?