Frequency of Communion

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Frequency of Communion

Post by Sudsy »

My experiences through Baptists, Pentecostals and Mennonite Brethren was to have communion once a month as a memorial service of Christ's death. It wasn't until I read some posts on this forum that made me think that there are some Anabaptist/Mennonites who do not do this remembrance once a month (often the first Sunday of every month and again on Good Friday).

Questions - for any that don't use the once a month timing, how was your time slot determined ? If only one or two times a year, was this to stay as far removed as possible from daily Mass in Catholicism ? Was it something to do with a preparatory time and/or self examination ? If more often than once a month, why is this not the normal Evangelical and Protestant time slot ?
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
CADude
Affiliation: Consrvt. Anabaptist

Re: Frequency of Communion

Post by CADude »

In the church I attend it's once a year after a series of I think incorrectly named "revival meetings". I don't know how or when it was determined (it's been this way for a really long time) but I do know that it has to do with a sincere desire to be properly prepared and make sure we do no violate 1 Cor. 11:27-29 about drinking of the cup unworthily. It is my personal opinion that we have perhaps taken these scriptures a bit too seriously (if such is possible) but I'm not going to go into any detail on that. Having said that, in general, brotherly accountability is lacking in the Christian realm today and I find it difficult to fault a sincere effort to keep that in place, which is what I see where I worship. So I'm not complaining about it.
0 x
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by lesterb »

Sudsy wrote:My experiences through Baptists, Pentecostals and Mennonite Brethren was to have communion once a month as a memorial service of Christ's death. It wasn't until I read some posts on this forum that made me think that there are some Anabaptist/Mennonites who do not do this remembrance once a month (often the first Sunday of every month and again on Good Friday).

Questions - for any that don't use the once a month timing, how was your time slot determined ? If only one or two times a year, was this to stay as far removed as possible from daily Mass in Catholicism ? Was it something to do with a preparatory time and/or self examination ? If more often than once a month, why is this not the normal Evangelical and Protestant time slot ?
The Swiss Brethren had communion once a year. Then Jacob Amman came along. He felt that some women never got communion because they were pregnant once a year and could never be there. So he promoted twice a year. Hans Reis didn't like changes, especially if they were promoted by Jacob Amman. But in this case, he was outvoted and it was changed.

The only explanation I've ever heard for not having it oftener was that if we have it too often, it will become commonplace. I've never heard any serious discussion of making it oftener. Most feasts, like the Passover, in the OT were annual, and I think that was probably the main reason for it being annual in the first place.
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Most Brethren circles have it in sync with spring and fall revival meetings... could be the weekend before or after. IIRC, the Dunkard church made a whole weekend of meetings for lovefeast/communion.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Disciples of Christ churches take communion weekly. They believe it is something to be remembered and done every time the congregation is assembled. So, if Christmas is on Sunday, we have the Supper even then.

The SBC church I was raised in (and most here) take communion 2 times a year. Far too infrequent for my liking.
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

CADude wrote:In the church I attend it's once a year after a series of I think incorrectly named "revival meetings". I don't know how or when it was determined (it's been this way for a really long time) but I do know that it has to do with a sincere desire to be properly prepared and make sure we do no violate 1 Cor. 11:27-29 about drinking of the cup unworthily. It is my personal opinion that we have perhaps taken these scriptures a bit too seriously (if such is possible) but I'm not going to go into any detail on that. Having said that, in general, brotherly accountability is lacking in the Christian realm today and I find it difficult to fault a sincere effort to keep that in place, which is what I see where I worship. So I'm not complaining about it.
If interested a separate thread could be used to discuss what this 'being unworthy' is about and the seriousness of what is said in this text about taking communion in a way the the Lord does not approve. Imo, context here is very important.
0 x
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

In our churches, it is held twice a year, after church counsel or preparatory services and the conference. The idea is that we all are to consider our life to make sure we do not eat and drink unworthily.
0 x
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

Thanks for all the sharing on the frequency this is observed. To explore it further -

Seems this is another one of those observances not specifically spelled out in the NT regarding frequency but is referred to in other documents like the Didache. But if the referral in scripture 'to break bread' means 'to celebrate the Lord's Supper' then a text like Acts 20:7 would suggest this practise was weekly.
On the first day of the week, when we were gathered together to break bread, Paul talked with them, intending to depart on the next day, and he prolonged his speech until midnight.
With regard to it becoming too commonplace, are we worried about praying too frequently or reading the Bible too much or keeping safe with less frequent biblical preaching ? These can become rote also but not necessarily due to frequency.

It would seem to me that more often we keep ourselves reminded of the cross the better. If the early church weekly celebrated the Lord's Supper and also washed one another's feet daily as they visited each other, I tend to think they experienced a dimension of fellowship and relationship with God and other believers quite beyond what we do in our few or single observances of these a year.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

CADude wrote:In the church I attend it's once a year after a series of I think incorrectly named "revival meetings". I don't know how or when it was determined (it's been this way for a really long time) but I do know that it has to do with a sincere desire to be properly prepared and make sure we do no violate 1 Cor. 11:27-29 about drinking of the cup unworthily. It is my personal opinion that we have perhaps taken these scriptures a bit too seriously (if such is possible) but I'm not going to go into any detail on that. Having said that, in general, brotherly accountability is lacking in the Christian realm today and I find it difficult to fault a sincere effort to keep that in place, which is what I see where I worship. So I'm not complaining about it.
This is how Holdemans do it as well (I’m guessing your church is Holdeman?), and it’s also a custom for the newly born again to join the church around this same time, right after revival meetings.
0 x
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Sudsy wrote: But if the referral in scripture 'to break bread' means 'to celebrate the Lord's Supper' then a text like Acts 20:7 would suggest this practise was weekly.
On the first day of the week, when we were gathered together to break bread, Paul talked with them, intending to depart on the next day, and he prolonged his speech until midnight.
My church (and I'm sure others that practice weekly communion) would agree.
The elders in my congregation will cite "..in remembrance of me" as the reason for weekly communion. We don't remember Jesus and his deeds just one service a year, it's every time. This also ensures that the birth, death, life, and resurrection will be preached each and every week, which is good if a visitor is passing through.
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do