Frequency of Communion

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Re: Frequency of Communion

Post by Hats Off »

Valerie wrote:I thought this explanation was interesting- I was somewhat confused about the term 'breaking of bread' if it refers to Communion or to the Agape meal or both- but typically apparently in context refers to what was done on the first day of the week as Christians assembled-

http://www.bible.ca/ef/expository-acts-20-7-8.htm

In Acts 2:42 it this context seems to be the same as when Jesus 'broke bread' as this looks like the assembling together-

42 They devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer.

I really don't read anywhere in Scripture or in the history of the Church from the beginning where they only practiced this at Passover-
Regardless of what the early church did, Jesus and the 12 disciples met in an upper room to keep the Passover. At his supper, Jesus first celebrated the sharing of the bread and wine in memory of his soon to be broken body. They kept the annual feast of the Passover as well as the first communion at supper that night in the upper room.
0 x
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Post by gcdonner »

Neto wrote:
gcdonner wrote:
GaryK wrote:Do most churches have communion on Sundays and if so, why? Isn't Sunday the day we remember Jesus' resurrection?
Jesus said, "As often as you eat the bread and drink the cup.." There is no limit to the day or time to celebrate his death and resurrection.
I think it is OK to make a broader application of this, but in the context, it seems to me, at least, that Jesus was specifically referring to the unleavened bread & the Cup of Atonement, which is a part of Passover.
Certainly it was in the Seder that Jesus instituted the communion "meal". But it goes so much farther than just Passover. I believe it is also the marriage supper of the Lamb, where we as his wife now eat and drink with him "in [his] kingdom", which he promised to do after his resurrection. This was the institution of the New Covenant, a marriage covenant of the Lamb to his bride. We demonstrate our being "one" with him, "bone of his bone, flesh of his flesh", when we participate in faith.
Joh 6:56  He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, dwelleth in me, and I in him. 
Eph 5:30  For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones. 
Rev 19:7  Let us be glad and rejoice, and give honour to him: for the marriage of the Lamb is come, and his wife hath made herself ready. 
8  And to her was granted that she should be arrayed in fine linen, clean and white: for the fine linen is the righteousness of saints. 
9  And he saith unto me, Write, Blessed are they which are called unto the marriage supper of the Lamb. And he saith unto me, These are the true sayings of God. 
Eph 5:25  Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it; 
26  That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word, 
27  That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish. 
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Post by Sudsy »

GaryK wrote:
gcdonner wrote:
GaryK wrote:Do most churches have communion on Sundays and if so, why? Isn't Sunday the day we remember Jesus' resurrection?
Jesus said, "As often as you eat the bread and drink the cup.." There is no limit to the day or time to celebrate his death and resurrection.
Is communion a time of remembering both the death and resurrection of Jesus or is it about His suffering and death? Maybe this question should be here
Yes, I was hoping to keep these threads separate.

There seems to be a much more involved process by those who do not celebrate communion weekly but less often. Regarding frequency, I'm wondering if the focus on Christ's death and what it means can take secondary focus to things like community reconciliations (examining ourselves and our relationships with each other), when the frequency is less often. I read somewhere that some Anabaptists required everyone to personally visit each other prior to the communion service and that is one reason why it could not be a frequent remembrance. They expected all this visitation and any reconciliations to occur first. Has anyone heard this before ?

And that takes us back into purpose. Hopefully on the other thread. :)
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Hats Off

Post by Hats Off »

And we believe that this marriage is in the future. Communion remembers what is in the past while also reminding us of what is to come. The Bride of Christ is in the making as life here continues and people are added to His Church.
0 x
Hats Off

Post by Hats Off »

Sudsy wrote:
GaryK wrote:
gcdonner wrote: Jesus said, "As often as you eat the bread and drink the cup.." There is no limit to the day or time to celebrate his death and resurrection.
Is communion a time of remembering both the death and resurrection of Jesus or is it about His suffering and death? Maybe this question should be here
Yes, I was hoping to keep these threads separate.

There seems to be a much more involved process by those who do not celebrate communion weekly but less often. Regarding frequency, I'm wondering if the focus on Christ's death and what it means can take secondary focus to things like community reconciliations (examining ourselves and our relationships with each other), when the frequency is less often. I read somewhere that some Anabaptists required everyone to personally visit each other prior to the communion service and that is one reason why it could not be a frequent remembrance. They expected all this visitation and any reconciliations to occur first. Has anyone heard this before ?

And that takes us back into purpose. Hopefully on the other thread. :)
Matthew 5:
23 Therefore (Matt. 8:4) if you bring your gift to the altar, and there remember that your brother has something against you, 24(Job 42:8; 1 Tim. 2:8; 1 Pet. 3:7)leave your gift there before the altar, and go your way. First be reconciled to your brother, and then come and offer your gift.
This is cited as a reason that we do not want to commune together without being at peace with one another. How can we have peace with Jesus if we do not have peace with one another. Jesus' death is still central - but if this is meaningful, we will need peace with each other.

In our churches just before starting to serve communion, the bishop takes a piece of bread and quotes "Take eat, this is my body which is broken for you.." And then when he takes the cup of wine he will quote "This cup is the new covenant in My blood.." So we are remembering the death and suffering of our Lord. But we can't remember his death without also remembering that in this death was the ultimate victory so we remember his resurrection as well. We can't separate one from the other.
0 x
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

Hats Off wrote:And we believe that this marriage is in the future. Communion remembers what is in the past while also reminding us of what is to come. The Bride of Christ is in the making as life here continues and people are added to His Church.
So our marriage covenant hasn't been consummated? In effect you are saying that the New Covenant is still waiting to be fulfilled? Seems like 2000 years and counting is an awful long betrothal.
Pro 13:12  Hope deferred maketh the heart sick: but when the desire cometh, it is a tree of life. 
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
Hats Off

Post by Hats Off »

I am an Anabaptist, not a Preterist. We have hope in the future.
0 x
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

Hats Off wrote:I am an Anabaptist, not a Preterist. We have hope in the future.
I am both, and have fulfilled hope in the past and an assurance of my future.
0 x
Hats Off

Post by Hats Off »

:clap:
0 x
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

Hats Off wrote::clap:
Thank you. Blessings to you in Jesus' name.
0 x