How do you celebrate Christmas?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Re: How do you celebrate Christmas?

Post by gcdonner »

appleman2006 wrote:
gcdonner wrote:
steve-in-kville wrote:Do you celebrate it all? What does your church have to say about it?

Personally, we don't do much. I may buy the family a gift that benefits everyone. No tree, no lights. Just not a big thing for me. Thanksgiving is actually more important to me, not that I am downplaying the birth of Christ, I simply feel Christmas has become too commercialized.
Is it really the birth of Christ? Where in scripture do we find the command to "remember his birth"?
Most likely not.
Technically no although the fact that the event is mentioned in such detail in two of the gospels would give at least the suggestion that it might be important for us to remember it.
We don't celebrate the resurrection as much as most churches do the "birth". Something is wrong with this picture and what is wrong is that we follow the traditions of our society, rather than the clear teachings of scripture.
We can remember his birth without all the "extras", which have absolutely nothing at all to do with his birth.

What is the most asked question on December 26th?
What did you get for Christmas?
Seems to me it should be,
What did you give to the Lord?
Think about it, everyone gets presents except the birthday boy...
I won't say more.
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

gcdonner wrote: We don't celebrate the resurrection as much as most churches do the "birth". Something is wrong with this picture and what is wrong is that we follow the traditions of our society, rather than the clear teachings of scripture.
We can remember his birth without all the "extras", which have absolutely nothing at all to do with his birth.

I won't say more.
This has been my contention for a long time especially the underlined. Christmas, Easter, Ascension; in our churches we follow the practices of society!
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

In our churches we essentially follow the same practices the Catholics did. If we are to separate and be a “peculiar people” and also recognised the idolatry of the Catholic Church is to be left behind, we need to avoid liturgical practices that have nothing to do with scripture such as observing Christmas and Easter and thinking it’s a religious thing.

Observing them as civil holidays and recognising we have a Catholic-derived culture is fine.
0 x
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

Josh wrote:In our churches we essentially follow the same practices the Catholics did. If we are to separate and be a “peculiar people” and also recognised the idolatry of the Catholic Church is to be left behind, we need to avoid liturgical practices that have nothing to do with scripture such as observing Christmas and Easter and thinking it’s a religious thing.

Observing them as civil holidays and recognising we have a Catholic-derived culture is fine.
What is the point then? If you are still doing the things that society does, ostensibly in the name of Jesus, how are we being separate?
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

Just a couple of clarifications. I would argue that as a church we certainly refer to and even celebrate the resurrection of Christ over and above his birth. But even the celebration of his birth is in reality a celebration of Christ's whole mission and work here on earth. It is certainly not only above his actual birth IMO. It really is a celebration of God becoming man and living among us.
As has already been mentioned I think the scriptures are quite clear on the idea that we do not become overly divisive on what special days we might or might not celebrate. And I am perfectly fine with those of you that want nothing to do with Christmas. I just think it becomes very confusing to our non Christian friends when that approach is taken. But hey that has simply been my experience. I imagine others have had other experiences.
0 x
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

appleman2006 wrote:Just a couple of clarifications. I would argue that as a church we certainly refer to and even celebration the resurrection of Christ over and above his birth. But even the celebration of his birth is in reality a celebration of Christ's whole mission and work here on earth. It is certainly not only above his actual birth IMO. It really is a celebration of God becoming man and living among us.
As has already been mentioned I think the scriptures are quite clear on the idea that we do not become overly divisive on what special days we might or might not celebrate. And I am perfectly fine with those of you that want nothing to do with Christmas. I just think it becomes very confusing to our non Christian friends when that approach is taken. But hey that has simply been my experience. I imagine others have had other experiences.
Rom 14:5  One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind. 
6  He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks. 
7  For none of us liveth to himself, and no man dieth to himself. 
8  For whether we live, we live unto the Lord; and whether we die, we die unto the Lord: whether we live therefore, or die, we are the Lord's. 
This is serious stuff, as we therefore cast ourselves upon God as our Judge. Be sure that it is done with an absolutely clear conscience.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

gcdonner wrote:
Josh wrote:In our churches we essentially follow the same practices the Catholics did. If we are to separate and be a “peculiar people” and also recognised the idolatry of the Catholic Church is to be left behind, we need to avoid liturgical practices that have nothing to do with scripture such as observing Christmas and Easter and thinking it’s a religious thing.

What is the point then? If you are still doing the things that society does, ostensibly in the name of Jesus, how are we being separate?
I don’t go into work on July 4 or Memorial Day.

I think I’m still “separate”.
0 x
gcdonner

Post by gcdonner »

Josh wrote:
gcdonner wrote:

I don’t go into work on July 4 or Memorial Day.

I think I’m still “separate”.
I don't ever go into work anymore, I'm separated from a full time job...LOL
0 x
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

gcdonner wrote:
appleman2006 wrote:Just a couple of clarifications. I would argue that as a church we certainly refer to and even celebration the resurrection of Christ over and above his birth. But even the celebration of his birth is in reality a celebration of Christ's whole mission and work here on earth. It is certainly not only above his actual birth IMO. It really is a celebration of God becoming man and living among us.
Rom 14:5  One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind. 
6  He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks. 
7  For none of us liveth to himself, and no man dieth to himself. 
8  For whether we live, we live unto the Lord; and whether we die, we die unto the Lord: whether we live therefore, or die, we are the Lord's. 
This is serious stuff, as we therefore cast ourselves upon God as our Judge. Be sure that it is done with an absolutely clear conscience.
I agree. Which is why I am slow to condemn those that practice or do not practice a particular day the way I might.
0 x
Z_DC
Affiliation: Keystone

Post by Z_DC »

Here is a video and a news story regarding how our congregation views Christmas.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryla ... story.html

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryla ... story.html
0 x