How do you celebrate Christmas?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Peregrino
Affiliation:

Re: How do you celebrate Christmas?

Post by Peregrino »

gcdonner wrote: If you don't know, then why do you celebrate "his birthday"? As far as I am concerned it is the Winter Solstice celebration and has nothing to do with Christ.
If you live in Minnesota, the Winter Solstice is reason enough for a celebration, isn't it? :D
0 x
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by lesterb »

Peregrino wrote:
gcdonner wrote: If you don't know, then why do you celebrate "his birthday"? As far as I am concerned it is the Winter Solstice celebration and has nothing to do with Christ.
If you live in Minnesota, the Winter Solstice is reason enough for a celebration, isn't it? :D
[bible]Rom 14,5-6[/bible]
0 x
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Post by gcdonner »

lesterb wrote:
Peregrino wrote:
True, but the question remains, how much of it is really done "unto the Lord"? How much of your celebration really has anything at all to do with Christ? That is my very point. I have already quoted the passage above and follow it implicitly, but to the point of relevance I guess only you can personally know.
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
lesterb

Post by lesterb »

gcdonner wrote:
lesterb wrote:
Peregrino wrote: If you live in Minnesota, the Winter Solstice is reason enough for a celebration, isn't it? :D
True, but the question remains, how much of it is really done "unto the Lord"? How much of your celebration really has anything at all to do with Christ? That is my very point. I have already quoted the passage above and follow it implicitly, but to the point of relevance I guess only you can personally know.
My impression is that you were throwing anyone who has a family time at Christmas into the same bucket. I think there are extremes in both directions. I have many fond memories of Christmas as a boy - family time where we played games together, sang together, etc.

This discussion comes on board every Christmas, normally from the same source. 8-)

So have a great time not celebrating Christmas and glorifying God by doing so. I'll try to have a good time with my family on Christmas, and glorifying God by doing so. I won't judge you and hopefully you can give me the same benefit of the doubt.
:wave:
0 x
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Post by Wade »

lesterb wrote:
gcdonner wrote:
lesterb wrote: [bible]Rom 14,5-6[/bible]
My impression is that you were throwing anyone who has a family time at Christmas into the same bucket. I think there are extremes in both directions. I have many fond memories of Christmas as a boy - family time where we played games together, sang together, etc.

This discussion comes on board every Christmas, normally from the same source. 8-)

So have a great time not celebrating Christmas and glorifying God by doing so. I'll try to have a good time with my family on Christmas, and glorifying God by doing so. I won't judge you and hopefully you can give me the same benefit of the doubt.
Maybe part of the issue is that newcomers are continually bombarded with drinking alcohol, materialism, extremely poor influences(especially on children) and etc. from unconverted family. It is wonderful you can spend time with family at Christmas and I wish for all that have that to continue doing so, but for some spending time with extended family at all doesn't glorify God and so approach is different more than disagreeing with those with family that believe in God.
0 x
lesterb

Post by lesterb »

Wade wrote:
lesterb wrote:
gcdonner wrote: True, but the question remains, how much of it is really done "unto the Lord"? How much of your celebration really has anything at all to do with Christ? That is my very point. I have already quoted the passage above and follow it implicitly, but to the point of relevance I guess only you can personally know.

Maybe part of the issue is that newcomers are continually bombarded with drinking alcohol, materialism, extremely poor influences(especially on children) and etc. from unconverted family. It is wonderful you can spend time with family at Christmas and I wish for all that have that to continue doing so, but for some spending time with extended family at all doesn't glorify God and so approach is different more than disagreeing with those with family that believe in God.
You can have a great time with your own family at home. That is all we are doing. No extended family at all. Several of our married children will be home. The main difference between us and you is that we are older and have married children.

But like I said, I'm fine with how you feel, and I understand why you can't get together with extended family. I probably sounded a bit put out. But I am a bit tired of being attacked by people like George who tend to strain at a gnat and swallow a camel in such areas. :-|
0 x
Wade

Post by Wade »

lesterb wrote:
Wade wrote:
lesterb wrote: My impression is that you were throwing anyone who has a family time at Christmas into the same bucket. I think there are extremes in both directions. I have many fond memories of Christmas as a boy - family time where we played games together, sang together, etc.

You can have a great time with your own family at home. That is all we are doing. No extended family at all. Several of our married children will be home. The main difference between us and you is that we are older and have married children.

But like I said, I'm fine with how you feel, and I understand why you can't get together with extended family. I probably sounded a bit put out. But I am a bit tired of being attacked by people like George who tend to strain at a gnat and swallow a camel in such areas. :-|
Does it have to do with ones focus when the word Christmas comes up? It sounds like yours is healthy to me. I hope I can help my children in that understanding too. I'd like to hear more about that.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Wade you’re invited to come here for Christmas. You too George. :D
0 x
Wade

Post by Wade »

RZehr wrote:Wade you’re invited to come here for Christmas. You too George. :D
According to Google Maps you live about 9 hours away. Looks like we will be spending the night too. :shock: :lol:
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Wade wrote:
RZehr wrote:Wade you’re invited to come here for Christmas. You too George. :D
According to Google Maps you live about 9 hours away. Looks like we will be spending the night too. :shock: :lol:
No problem. We’ve driven almost that far for Christmas get togethers. We’ll figure out sleeping space for you. George, how many will you be bringing?
0 x