How do you celebrate Christmas?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Re: How do you celebrate Christmas?

Post by Wade »

Got up early with our oldest and made pancakes, eggs, and bacon for everyone.
Read Luke 2 before we all ate and prayed together.
Sang a few songs. Peaceful.

Then grandpa and grandma came with a flood of toys plus the ones from the other grandparents were opened. Now the house is filled with a load multiple toys playing music and other load Elmo and etc. sounds. There is arguing and tug-o-wars over toys, and crying. Nothing peaceful at all, except I did get everyone to sing a few songs to my parents and my mom even joined in a few more she wanted.
The house is a mess with boxes and brightly colored wrapping everywhere and more toys than we know what to do with...

If it is Christ's birthday then would it be acceptable to do to the least of His brethren and look for those in need to give to?!

Why the encouragement to being only selfish and feeding discontentment with unnecessary wants?

I wish these distractions would leave. The Savour was born!
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Post by Sudsy »

I think the apostle Paul would have joined in with many celebrations of Christmas as he didn't seem to be too concerned about whether or not others thought of him mistakenly. As Jesus said only be concerned of any evil said about us if it is true.

To the Jews I became as a Jew, in order to win Jews. To those under the law I became as one under the law (though not being myself under the law) that I might win those under the law. - Paul

'I became as one' does not mean we are one but the goal should be to win others for Christ. We had a good Gospel presentation Sunday along with our Christmas decorations and candles and sermon on the greatest gift ever given as this is a day that some unchurched show up with their families.

Well, after today, back on the diet. Hardest time of the year for me to practise moderation.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

Wade wrote:Got up early with our oldest and made pancakes, eggs, and bacon for everyone.
Read Luke 2 before we all ate and prayed together.
Sang a few songs. Peaceful.

Then grandpa and grandma came with a flood of toys plus the ones from the other grandparents were opened. Now the house is filled with a load multiple toys playing music and other load Elmo and etc. sounds. There is arguing and tug-o-wars over toys, and crying. Nothing peaceful at all, except I did get everyone to sing a few songs to my parents and my mom even joined in a few more she wanted.
The house is a mess with boxes and brightly colored wrapping everywhere and more toys than we know what to do with...

If it is Christ's birthday then would it be acceptable to do to the least of His brethren and look for those in need to give to?!

Why the encouragement to being only selfish and feeding discontentment with unnecessary wants?

I wish these distractions would leave. The Savour was born!
Had our youngest and oldest daughters here, oldest with husband and five daughters, youngest single.
Read the first 14 verses of John 1 as an alternative Christmas story before having grace for the noon meal; pizza casserole and kernel corn, peaches and field berries mixed, and mixed Christmas cookies.

Watched a male ring-neck come to scratch around in the snow under the bird feeder, then it came up to the glass doors and saw us watching, zoom!!! it was gone.
Children and some of the adults played quiet games.
A gentle, unrushed Christmas, so far.
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Had our main celebration yesterday. Early dinner with three of our children and my wife's parents, then a Festival of Lessons and Carols at a local church we do not normally attend, then back home for Christmas carols around the tree (using lit candles instead of ornaments, it's a German thing). Opened up presents and went to bed.

Today has been a lazy day, naps and walks and playing with dogs.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Livingbyfaith
Affiliation: Unaffiliated/Beachy

Post by Livingbyfaith »

Today we made a bigger breakfast, had devotions, exchanged some small gifts and then went to visit the nursing home to see my grandparents. Then we had a kind of lazy afternoon and enjoyed some hot cocoa:)

In our church it varies somewhat how it's celebrated. Some have bigger celebrations, some not at all. Everyone generally respects how others celebrate, as long as it doesn't go too far. ;)
0 x
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

Two single daughters at home for a few days. Before church, after breakfast we read a devotional out of "Beside the Still Waters" with Luke 2; 1-20 for a text. Went to church where we sang several Christmas hymns, had Luke 2; 1-20 for a text. After church our family got together at youngest daughter's new house for Christmas dinner. The children went skating on the outdoor rink at school, played some games, sang a few songs, had a lighter supper. It was quite a peaceful but very noisy day - very enjoyable but also very tiring.
0 x
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

Two single daughters at home for a few days. Before church, after breakfast we read a devotional out of "Beside the Still Waters" with Luke 2; 1-20 for a text. Went to church where we sang several Christmas hymns, had Luke 2; 1-20 for a text. After church our family got together at youngest daughter's new house for Christmas dinner. The children went skating on the outdoor rink at school, played some games, sang a few songs, had a lighter supper. It was quite a peaceful but very noisy day - very enjoyable but also very tiring.
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

I had to work on Christmas Day. I get Sunday's off- (was clear when I was hired that I won't work Sundays) but Christmas I worked for 5 hours. We are a drugstore & foodstore- our Ohio chain is open 365 days a year- it is expected we work on holidays- it is SO busy!

So worked 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. only 5 hours. The nice thing was that when customers apolgize that I have to work, I can respond with "This day is NOT about me, it is about Jesus" I found some opportunities to share about Jesus with customer's and so I didn't mind working-
We went to our local truck stop for buffet after work.

Actually- due to a crazy December, health issues with hubby etc- we decided that we will have 'our' celebration January 7th which is Christmas on the 'old' calendar, as much of the world still does this (especially in the east) so that way we can still enjoy the Advent seasons & it is quieter now and we can attend a Christian service on January 7. We will do our final lighting of the Advent wreath candle then (the other 4 candles we lit, the middle "Christmas" candle we will wait-

I find you have to be INTENTIONAL about keeping Christ in Christmas among the secularism prevailing around us- keep bringing Christ into it, keep proclaiming and bringing Him glory- and professing His name!
0 x