If a Mennonite were in the Netherlands ...

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

If a Mennonite were in the Netherlands ...

Post by Bootstrap »

Suppose you were in the Netherlands ... what would you want to see or do, as a Mennonite? I will be there for a business trip soon.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Re: If a Mennonite were in the Netherlands ...

Post by mike »

Corrie ten Boom house.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

the farms
0 x
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

The Anne Frank museum as well as Menno's home stomping grounds. Oh and the flower auction.
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

The stomping grounds would include Pingjum and Witmarsum, each of which has a church, and there's a memorial obelisk outside Witmarsum.

Giethoorn is a cute little town that has a Mennonite presence with a church, and camp and conference center nearby.

In Amsterdam, look up the Singelkerk. The Rijksmuseum has Rembrandt paintings of Mennonites, and the Vondelpark was developed by a Mennonite.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Cool, this is very helpful.

I should be able to do at least Singelkerk and Corrie Ten Boom's house. I agree that Anne Frank's house is well worth visiting, I have been there twice.

I have to check out timing and public transportation options for the rest ... I just might be able to fit something in, depending on how many side meetings get set up while I am there ... but the "old stomping grounds" seem a little harder to get to in the time I have.

Thanks for all your help!
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Bootstrap wrote:I have to check out timing and public transportation options for the rest ... I just might be able to fit something in, depending on how many side meetings get set up while I am there ... but the "old stomping grounds" seem a little harder to get to in the time I have.
The destinations in Friesland may not be practical to reach by public transportation, but could easily be done as a day trip from Amsterdam by renting a car.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

This Mennonite found himself accidentally embroiled in an Anabaptist tour of Austria next weekend. Whilst the Hutterite museum in Austria is closed for the winter, the hospitality of the few plain Anabaptists in Austria burns hot.

I met one of the very few plain boys and girls from Austria when I was in Minnesota a few months ago. She sang a hymn set to Finlandia. I thought I would never see either of them again, but fate had other plans.

I hope I can show as much hospitality and warmth in Hartville, Ohio, DC, and Minnesota as those who around the world have shown me.
0 x
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Post by Wade »

Bootstrap wrote:Suppose you were in the Netherlands ... what would you want to see or do, as a Mennonite? I will be there for a business trip soon.
Share the Gospel...
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Wade wrote:
Bootstrap wrote:Suppose you were in the Netherlands ... what would you want to see or do, as a Mennonite? I will be there for a business trip soon.
Share the Gospel...
:up: :up:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God