What is our opinion of the wealthy among us?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Re: What is our opinion of the wealthy among us?

Post by ohio jones »

Lester, in person the quality of prose may suffer somewhat, but the quantity compensates. If your paths ever intersect, you might want to choose a coffee shop that offers late hours and free refills. ;)
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by lesterb »

ohio jones wrote:Lester, in person the quality of prose may suffer somewhat, but the quantity compensates. If your paths ever intersect, you might want to choose a coffee shop that offers late hours and free refills. ;)
:blah: :blah: 8-)
0 x
Gene
Affiliation: CMC

Post by Gene »

ohio jones wrote:Lester, in person the quality of prose may suffer somewhat, but the quantity compensates. If your paths ever intersect, you might want to choose a coffee shop that offers late hours and free refills. ;)
Et tu Brute? :lol: That was pretty funny. My wife was possibly even more amused that I was, though she may have been aided in her mirth by a form of confirmation bias. Touche!, OJ.
0 x
Chris
Affiliation: Moderate / unaffil

Post by Chris »

Wayne in Maine wrote:
steve-in-kville wrote:I am referring to those brethren in our churches who are wealthy or well-to-do (big wheels as they are often called). Do we sub-consciously worship them? Do we equate their level of wealth to a higher level of spirituality? Do their opinions matter more than others?

To this end, what do we think of poor people? Those who struggle to make ends meet? Are they lesser of a person than anyone else? Are they second class?

Discuss.
I think, in our humanness, we look up to them as models of hard work and wisdom. We often put them in leadership positions too (I've heard it said that it is because they can afford it where ministers are unpaid). And I do think we tend to look down on the poor among us.

But I believe such is not so in the Kingdom of God.
Excellent post.

It's really sad too, and very human to do this. Seriously, one of the smartest men I've ever met in my life was dirt poor because he just could care less about money... The man was genius on incredible levels. Many do not take him seriously because he doesn't fit into the social "high class". His biblical wisdom, knowledge of how to do stuff, and incredible creativity was simply outstanding. He was often sort of ostracized and not taken seriously.

It's not about wealth. Wealth is stupid. Reference the camel teaching by Jesus.... Even if it did mean the gates of Jerusalem, you really want some green backs making it even slightly harder to get into heaven?

A man can do a ton of great things for the God's kingdom without money. Sometimes it's just time, care, love, etc., that people really need from God's kingdom.
0 x
Chris
Affiliation: Moderate / unaffil

Post by Chris »

Wade wrote:Recently our Pastor said something about Jesus not noticing the size of the gift but rather the sacrifice.

How much is given isn't really impressive in this light. But neither should we try to make less so it is "easier" to claim such.
Yes the sacrifice to widows and orphans..... Yikes, I'm running away now..... :geek:
0 x