What is our opinion of the wealthy among us?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: What is our opinion of the wealthy among us?

Post by Josh »

Why do you expect Amish & Mennonites to behave better than other Christians?

For example, today I saw Eastern Orthodox girls dressed immodestly and smoking. How would you feel if I complained about this and said “I expect better from the true apostolic church”?
0 x
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

Just for the record I personally am alright with being held to a high standard. For me part of that high standard is learning to extend grace to the rest of my fellow men. Not always very good at that.
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Josh wrote:Why do you expect Amish & Mennonites to behave better than other Christians?

For example, today I saw Eastern Orthodox girls dressed immodestly and smoking. How would you feel if I complained about this and said “I expect better from the true apostolic church”?
Well, the topic I posted in was "What is our opinion of the wealthy among us?" Not about smoking and dressing immodestly-
I am used to reading a lot of criticism towards other Christian groups from Anabaptists- have read plenty here and in publications like Heartbeat of the Remnant- this was about 'wealth' and it prompted me to ask the question-
I am not surprised that you saw EO girls dress immodestly or smoking- they aren't 'taught' to, and should be taught better, and I do see that as a problem. I think the witness of Christians is important.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

But who sets the standard?

Holdemans, for example, have a rather high standard about excessive joking around, to the point a convert I know got put out for a year for his un-serious speech.

Now he’s very cautious what he says and never jokes around.

Is this really a good thing?
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Josh wrote:But who sets the standard?

Holdemans, for example, have a rather high standard about excessive joking around, to the point a convert I know got put out for a year for his un-serious speech.

Now he’s very cautious what he says and never jokes around.

Is this really a good thing?
That sounds a little harsh even in regard for the early church... That being said, it looks like it worked.
I can say I'd have trouble fitting in with that group... I of course know nothing of the sort of jokes he did or what he is cautious about saying. This also may have followed the proper Mathew 18 model and been proper. We can always dispute if something had been too severe, but I would rather their model rather than traditional CM excommunication model...
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Josh wrote:Holdemans, for example, have a rather high standard about excessive joking around, to the point a convert I know got put out for a year for his un-serious speech.
:shock: I'd never survive...
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
YorkandAdams
Affiliation:

Post by YorkandAdams »

ohio jones wrote:
Josh wrote:Holdemans, for example, have a rather high standard about excessive joking around, to the point a convert I know got put out for a year for his un-serious speech.
:shock: I'd never survive...
Yea, I couldn't pull that off either. I mean some of us need that type of laughter in our lives. Especially if I know no one (fairly common), then its fairly useful breaking the ice.
0 x
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

I could not survive in that environment either. It simply is not me.
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Post by Sudsy »

My opinion of the wealthy among us is that we are challenged in many ways for the state we are in and must be careful to "Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves." Phlippians 2:3

From what I read of many on this forum I suspect I am one of those 'wealthy among us'. If Jesus is ruling in my heart and is transforming my thinking to His, I will see everyone as He does. "But if you favor some people over others, you are committing a sin. You are guilty of breaking the law." James 2:9 NLT
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Post by Wade »

Josh wrote:But who sets the standard?
:clap:

God should.
What is His heart on wealth and joking?

"High standards" are always low as compared to God's standards, and often blinding too...
0 x