Question about Church Standards

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Re: Question about Church Standards

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Hats Off wrote:There is also a Weaverland Martindale district as well as a Groffdale. And now there is an Old Order one in Ontario.
Really? But in the company he was talking about there, the Lancaster Martindale conference is what he was almost certainly referring to. It is similar to us in practice.

J.M.
0 x
:hug:
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Once Again wrote:
Josh wrote:Yes.

Which ones?
Every church has some things that are left to personal conviction, some which are definitely rules but are unwritten, and some which are rules which are clearly written down.

Some churches have written rules that everyone knows they don’t actually follow.

This is human nature. People are not rigid rule following robots. If you want a clearly defined system, study computers...
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

YorkandAdams wrote:CMC churches that require head-covering (Martindale District)
Try this:
CMC churches that require head-covering
LMC churches that require head-covering (Martindale District)
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

One thing I haven't seen much of anything on is swimming... Is that a thing for CA's??? Just a pointless little question I've wondered. (not trying to bunny trail.. a simple answer will suffice. Just didn't want to create a whole thread for such a little thing)
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Josh

Post by Josh »

KingdomBuilder wrote:One thing I haven't seen much of anything on is swimming... Is that a thing for CA's??? Just a pointless little question I've wondered. (not trying to bunny trail.. a simple answer will suffice. Just didn't want to create a whole thread for such a little thing)
Most of us don’t engage in “mixed bathing”.
0 x
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

KingdomBuilder wrote:One thing I haven't seen much of anything on is swimming... Is that a thing for CA's??? Just a pointless little question I've wondered. (not trying to bunny trail.. a simple answer will suffice. Just didn't want to create a whole thread for such a little thing)
We have a rule "No mixed swimming" and it is discouraged for the girls to go swimming at all.
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Hats Off wrote:We have a rule "No mixed swimming" and it is discouraged for the girls to go swimming at all.
And I bet if you do go swimming you have to wear a T-shirt. Am I right?
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

"Mixed" meaning all male-female interactions? Or is household an exception?
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Josh

Post by Josh »

KingdomBuilder wrote:"Mixed" meaning all male-female interactions? Or is household an exception?
It’s a grey area. For young children it’s more acceptable. More conservative churches wouldn’t allow older brothers and sisters to mixed-swim.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

steve-in-kville wrote:
Hats Off wrote:We have a rule "No mixed swimming" and it is discouraged for the girls to go swimming at all.
And I bet if you do go swimming you have to wear a T-shirt. Am I right?
Depends. If you’re by yourself, no shirts and shorts might be ok... (same goes for working on a job site on a very hot day if nobody is around who can see you and the crew is all guys).

When I was at Dead Sea I wore a surf shirt called a “rash guard”. I carry one with me in travel for any impromptu aquatic activities.

Generally speaking, for guys the greatest concern is being around immodestly dressed women. So we just avoid those situations. A lake or the ocean usually works OK. A public pool does not.

For girls we discourage them being in public in swimsuits unless they have complete privacy. So sometimes at a resort on vacation is fine if they have the place to themselves. Likewise on a desert beach at the ocean where nobody else is around.

More conservative groups discourage girls from swimming for recreation at all once they are older.
0 x