Can any water be used for baptism?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Can any water be used for baptism?

Post by MaxPC »

Serious question, am not trying to be facetious. An article spurred a question about Anabaptist baptism I hadn't thought about before. Are there standards for the type of water used in baptism? The baptism in the pool with chlorine has me wondering about this.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Re: Can any water be used for baptism?

Post by ohio jones »

Years ago with a tour group in Israel, a deacon brought a Tupperware container along when we visited Yardenit and took home some water from the Jordan. We joked that it might last at least 5 years if used for pouring. He must have needed a refill, because he returned later with the "Amish in Israel" group of the famous MD thread.

If the baptism is in a lake, pond, or river, whatever water is there is used. Otherwise, it's tap water. Seriously, it's not the water that's important.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

ohio jones wrote:Years ago with a tour group in Israel, a deacon brought a Tupperware container along when we visited Yardenit and took home some water from the Jordan. We joked that it might last at least 5 years if used for pouring. He must have needed a refill, because he returned later with the "Amish in Israel" group of the famous MD thread.
:shock:
ohio jones wrote:If the baptism is in a lake, pond, or river, whatever water is there is used. Otherwise, it's tap water. Seriously, it's not the water that's important.
Agreed.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

As I would understand baptism the type of water used would make no difference at all. I do not claim to speak for all Anabaptists though.
0 x
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

I see some others had already commented by the time I posted. And I see that at least the three of us agree. :)
0 x
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

Many thanks to all who responded.
:up:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Traditionally the Mennonite Brethren required unheated running water, in other words, in a creek - "living water", as they called it. (At least the congregation I grew up in, back when my mom was baptized. By the time I was baptized, we were borrowing another church house that had an in-door baptismal, as they practice baptism by immersion.) (I think now they set up one of those tanks you throw a base ball at to trip it... :laugh Just kidding.)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Post by Sudsy »

The Didache, or Teaching of the Twelve Apostles (an early Christian text not part of the New Testament) says of baptism (chapter 7):

On the subject of baptism, baptise thus: after having taught all that precedes, baptize in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, in living water. If for some reason you do not have living water, baptize in other water; and if you are not able to in cold water, in warm water. If you do not have enough of one or the other, pour out water three times on the head, in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. Before the baptism, let the baptizer, the baptized and others who can, observe first a fast; as for the baptized, you must enforce a fast beforehand for one or two days.
Seems to be some very specific details here on the characteristics of the water.

In my early years we baptised in a lake and in public. This was thought to be a testimony to the world watching that we were now a Christ follower. However, I don't recall any fliers mailed out inviting spectators. But, thinking more about it, I think that might be a good idea. Post a notice in the local newspaper that so and so will be baptised as a new follower of Christ at such and such a time and place. Jesus said we should never be ashamed to be known as one of His followers.

Today we have our own baptismal tank and the water is at a quite comfortable temperature. Extended family and friends are to be invited on this occasion.

What I find quite interesting in this Didache statement is the part about fasting prior to baptism. And the enforcement of a one or two day fast on the one to be baptised. Can't find that anywhere in the NT. I guess this is one of those oral traditions that didn't seem to get passed down too far.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

Love that baseball tank idea, Neto :rofl:

Neto and Sudsy: thank you for mentioning the Didache. It's one of the sources that helped to form my question.

Clearly in the Didache the fasting was referencing young people and adults. I know, opening a can worms so please start a new thread if you have an itch you need to scratch on that topic. :mrgreen:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Clearly the Didache leaves no room at all for infant baptism. The Didache is pretty specific and doesn’t leave much wiggle room; if the apostles baptised infants, the Didache would have had clear instructions for how to do so.
0 x