Can any water be used for baptism?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Re: Can any water be used for baptism?

Post by Valerie »

Josh wrote:Clearly the Didache leaves no room at all for infant baptism. The Didache is pretty specific and doesn’t leave much wiggle room; if the apostles baptised infants, the Didache would have had clear instructions for how to do so.
That is a good observation I have noticed too- and haven't asked about- I need to ask why that is the case- but of course an infant wouldn't 'fast' before their baptism nor receive the instructions taught about- and probably common sense would have dictated some things there with an infant.

Sudsy, I believe if I am not mistaken the reason for fasting is for the grace of the Holy Spirit, because it is at one's baptism that they are prayed over/anointed to receive the Holy Spirit and fasting has something to do with receiving more grace of the Holy Spirit- that would be the purpose from what I understand, your 'emptying yourself' so that you can be filled.

Remember the reason the disciples were unable to cast out some demons one time- and Jesus said "this kind cannot come out except by prayer & fasting" so the fasting is purposeful to empty & receive power from on High.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

I see some forgot the instruction: here it is again.
MaxPC wrote: Clearly in the Didache the fasting was referencing young people and adults. I know, opening a can worms so please start a new thread if you have an itch you need to scratch on that topic. :mrgreen:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

MaxPC wrote:I see some forgot the instruction: here it is again.
MaxPC wrote: Clearly in the Didache the fasting was referencing young people and adults. I know, opening a can worms so please start a new thread if you have an itch you need to scratch on that topic. :mrgreen:
As an Anabaptist, discussion of how baptism is for believing adults is always “on topic” in any thread, including this one.

I will not cease preaching and writing about the good news of “repent and be baptised”. No matter where I am or where I go, it is always on topic - even if the hearer may “hearing, yet not understanding” be.
0 x