Northwoods Church

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Northwoods Church

Post by JimFoxvog »

I wonder if anyone here knows about Northwoods Church. They just sent a bulk mailing inviting all in the area to the grand opnening of their new "campus" on October 22, meeting at a movie theater in Princeton, IL. Their website is: https://northwoods.church/princeton-campus/.

Their "ABOUT" page says,
Our Associations

Northwoods is part of the Fellowship of Evangelical Churches, with roots in Anabaptist and Mennonite traditions. We are also members of the Willow Creek Association.
Saturday, October 14, 2017.jpg
Saturday, October 14, 2017.jpg (585.6 KiB) Viewed 594 times
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Re: Northwoods Church

Post by ohio jones »

Generally FEC seems to think that their roots, like those of a plant, had best remain underground. But they are getting rather productive in planting churches such as this one. I'm not quite sure whether they plant in blocks or mix things up, though. While they wouldn't satisfy someone looking for a Plain or conservative Mennonite church, if someone is located where that's not an option, or is looking for a (somewhat generic) Evangelical faith community with generally conservative social values, it may be not be a bad alternative.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

I used to attend an MC USA church in the Ohio Conference that changed its affiliation to FEC about 3 years ago.

Generally FEC seems to retain the classic mainstream-evangelical Mennonite culture but is neither left wing nor plain. They do seem to be really good at evangelism and growing. My old church is exploring doing multiple plants, adding on to their building, or doing multiple services. They also seem to want to avoid church planting in another Anabaptist community’s back yard.

When they switched to FEC they became slightly MORE Mennonite - since FEC encourages footwashing at communion and when they were in Ohio Conference they didn’t do that.

What’s curious, Jim, about that announcement is the affiliation with Willow a Creek...
0 x
ohio jones

Post by ohio jones »

Josh wrote:What’s curious, Jim, about that announcement is the affiliation with Willow a Creek...
Being "members of Willow Creek Association" isn't really an affiliation, it's purchasing access to a set of resources through Willow (with a credit card, your church too can join!). While including that info signals some alignment with Willow Creek's values, it doesn't necessarily mean they are ready to set aside FEC policy and follow Hybels down the women-in-ministry road.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Post by Sudsy »

I noticed they have a separate statement stating their belief in eternal security. Are there other Mennonite groups who teach eternal security ?
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
ohio jones

Post by ohio jones »

Sudsy wrote:I noticed they have a separate statement stating their belief in eternal security. Are there other Mennonite groups who teach eternal security ?
That appears to be a position of this church, but it is not in the FEC Articles of Faith. There's some latitude within the denomination; for example, the church Josh refers to would likely discourage military service, while FEC makes it a matter of individual conscience.

I'm not aware of any Mennonite groups that officially support eternal security, but within the Anabaptist family the Grace Brethren come to mind.
0 x

Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Post by Sudsy »

ohio jones wrote:
Sudsy wrote:I noticed they have a separate statement stating their belief in eternal security. Are there other Mennonite groups who teach eternal security ?
That appears to be a position of this church, but it is not in the FEC Articles of Faith. There's some latitude within the denomination; for example, the church Josh refers to would likely discourage military service, while FEC makes it a matter of individual conscience.

I'm not aware of any Mennonite groups that officially support eternal security, but within the Anabaptist family the Grace Brethren come to mind.
Thankyou. I found this interesting on the subject, especially how the Swiss Brethren thought it possible to apostasize but also 'They held just as firmly to Christian assurance'. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Eternal_Security
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
cmbl
Affiliation: Pilgrim, NMB

Post by cmbl »

Sudsy wrote: Thankyou. I found this interesting on the subject, especially how the Swiss Brethren thought it possible to apostasize but also 'They held just as firmly to Christian assurance'. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Eternal_Security
Today, Conservative Mennonite groups teach "Christian assurance." Old Order groups would frame that discussion in terms of having a "living hope."

There exists some variation on what exactly is meant by "Christian assurance." For example, in my intermediate-conservative setting, Matthew 7 is read in the sermons on Christian assurance, and Old Order views are treated with respect. But I've also been in less conservative settings where after one speaker read from Matthew 7, the next speaker said, "We're not talking about salvation here" and people would pray before Amish and thank God they can "have assurance of salvation," as if to evangelize the Amish to their view.
0 x
"Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous."
Bill Rushby
Affiliation: Conservative Quaker

Post by Bill Rushby »

a "living hope."=? a "lively hope"
0 x