Too big, too small, or just right??

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Too big, too small, or just right??

Post by steve-in-kville »

Another random train of thought I've had as of late... what would you consider an ideal size of a congregation?? We have one of these "mega" churches down in Lancaster County with over 2000 members from what I understand. Obviously there are multiple services between Saturday and Sunday. No one obviously gets to really know anyone that way.

I've been with congregations as small as 30. Currently attending one with 500 on the roll and attendance averages about 400. Also have seen Groups that average 80-ish and groups that hover around 200.

Also know of a Charity-affiliated group in Lebanon County that got too big and initiated a split. Seems to have worked out well.

Discuss.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Re: Too big, too small, or just right??

Post by Soloist »

Well one church near me was average attendance of 200 people... I think thats too big. The flip side is too small makes for an awkward church for newcomers at times. I like around 70ish myself
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Dunbar’s number sets an ideal around 125, with a maximum of around 145.
0 x
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by lesterb »

According to Malcolm Gladwell any group over 120 is to big for everyone to know each other. See his book The Tipping Point.
0 x
Bill Rushby
Affiliation: Conservative Quaker

Post by Bill Rushby »

The German Baptists often have congregations whose membership is in the hundreds. They say the "young folks" don't want them to have small congregations.
0 x
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

lesterb wrote:According to Malcolm Gladwell any group over 120 is to big for everyone to know each other. See his book The Tipping Point.
There was a time I would of totally disagreed with that. Now I am not so sure he is about right on with that number. I grew up in a church that at it's peak was at about 350. Almost 15 years ago we moved to a church that had about 60 in regular attendance. That has now grown to about 175 and even if it were not for the fact that we are pushing out the walls of the building almost in overcrowding I would still be in favour of splitting in half, a plan that we are actively pursuing. Having a building too full is also not conducive to welcoming newcomers although so far it sure does not seem to stop them from at least coming and checking us out. My fear is that we will split and then have the same problem again at both places in about 5 years.
0 x
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

I think with children and all, we must be close to 200. And we certainly know everyone. I make a habit of trying to know most of the little children as well as their parents and grandparents.
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Post by Sudsy »

We have 2 back to back identical Sunday services but there is some thought to a bigger sanctuary. Personally, I think a huge sanctuary that only is used on a Sunday is quite a waste of money. To accommodate a more personal community brotherhood we have small care groups of under 20 that meet in homes of people who can accommodate them. The same bible study is had by all groups that coincide with the Sunday sermons. We have just started an 8 week series on spiritual warfare. We also use e:mail and facebook and other means to ask questions of the teaching pastor at any time and for fellowship. Daily devotions, weekly sermons and announcements are always available on the Internet. Our MB church is very modern and attracts many teens and young married couples. Many teen and children programs.

I don't have a problem with the size of a church but do have concerns if a church is not growing steadily. Numbers matter to Jesus as He is willing that none should perish and that all come to repentance. I don't need to know everyone that well in the church I attend but I love seeing new faces and hearing their testimonies at baptism time.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Biblical Anabaptist
Affiliation: Unaffiliated Menno

Post by Biblical Anabaptist »

Sudsy wrote:We have 2 back to back identical Sunday services but there is some thought to a bigger sanctuary. Personally, I think a huge sanctuary that only is used on a Sunday is quite a waste of money. To accommodate a more personal community brotherhood we have small care groups of under 20 that meet in homes of people who can accommodate them. The same bible study is had by all groups that coincide with the Sunday sermons. We have just started an 8 week series on spiritual warfare. We also use e:mail and facebook and other means to ask questions of the teaching pastor at any time and for fellowship. Daily devotions, weekly sermons and announcements are always available on the Internet. Our MB church is very modern and attracts many teens and young married couples. Many teen and children programs.

I don't have a problem with the size of a church but do have concerns if a church is not growing steadily. Numbers matter to Jesus as He is willing that none should perish and that all come to repentance. I don't need to know everyone that well in the church I attend but I love seeing new faces and hearing their testimonies at baptism time.
I have heard of churches doing this but in my mind that is a "church" within a church. IMO an attendance of around 50 including children makes a group that is large enough to function but small enough to not let anyone "slip through the cracks".
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Max 150
0 x