Too big, too small, or just right??

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Re: Too big, too small, or just right??

Post by Wade »

19 people showed up for the Lord's Supper Service recently at the Baptist church.
8 of those people were me and my family...
One was a handicap man.
Four others were the Pastor and his wife and two of their children.
The Pastor's mother-in-law.
A woman and her two teenage sons.
And one young man whose mother is a member but his father is an atheist.
Feels a bit small and lonely...
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Wade wrote:19 people showed up for the Lord's Supper Service recently at the Baptist church.
One was a handicap man.
Or it we can say it's a good foundation for future growth. :D Sometimes we desire to be fed when in reality, it's God calling us and equipping us to do the feeding.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by lesterb »

Wade wrote:19 people showed up for the Lord's Supper Service recently at the Baptist church.
One was a handicap man.
What does a regular service look like? If I had to attend a Baptist church I'd feel more at home with this than I would with a large city church.
0 x
Wade

Post by Wade »

lesterb wrote:
One was a handicap man.
What does a regular service look like? If I had to attend a Baptist church I'd feel more at home with this than I would with a large city church.
For communion the Pastors father-in-law was away or sick and he is also a pastor. And the deacon and his wife didn’t make it. Plus a couple more families that attend regularly didn’t show up.
There are a couple families that don't attend regularly and also seems to be that some families have a more regular attendance from the wife bringing the children.
Even though small and maybe the smallest in town it is the only church in the community that still hosts a vocation bible school each year for the community children.
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Wade wrote:
lesterb wrote:
One was a handicap man.
For communion the Pastors father-in-law was away or sick and he is also a pastor. And the deacon and his wife didn’t make it. Plus a couple more families that attend regularly didn’t show up.
There are a couple families that don't attend regularly and also seems to be that some families have a more regular attendance from the wife bringing the children.
Even though small and maybe the smallest in town it is the only church in the community that still hosts a vocation bible school each year for the community children.
Do you feel like the church is struggling? How often do they have communion?
0 x
Wade

Post by Wade »

Valerie wrote:
Wade wrote:
lesterb wrote: What does a regular service look like? If I had to attend a Baptist church I'd feel more at home with this than I would with a large city church.
I think all churches have there struggles. Some in different areas than others. We never came to this church to fix anything and had a good idea of what we were getting into... Even if don't fit in completely we started attending to be a blessing and of service, hopefully that can help towards lessening any struggles.

Close communion is about every couple months.
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Wade wrote:
Valerie wrote:
Wade wrote: For communion the Pastors father-in-law was away or sick and he is also a pastor. And the deacon and his wife didn’t make it. Plus a couple more families that attend regularly didn’t show up.
I think all churches have there struggles. Some in different areas than others. We never came to this church to fix anything and had a good idea of what we were getting into... Even if don't fit in completely we started attending to be a blessing and of service, hopefully that can help towards lessening any struggles.

Close communion is about every couple months.
Yes, churches will always be met with struggles- from the earliest days of the Church we find the Apostles writing epistles to address areas needing correction (or even repentance) and encouraging words for where they are doing well- (we always need both, don't we? Even as parents we do both) and then Jesus addressing a portion of the Churches in Asia in Revelations 2 & 3, He pointed out where they were strong and where they needed to change- (except for 2 churches who didn't seem to receive admonishing)-

I think your attitude & desire to 'bless' and 'give' instead of just being there to receive is inspiring- making me mindful of Jesus words in Revelations 3:

2 Be watchful, and strengthen the things which remain, that are ready to die: for I have not found thy works perfect before God.
(I'm not implying this church is ready to die, only the encouragement to strengthen what remains, which it is something that as Christians we hope to find ways of doing this in our fellowships, and in Christendom at large-)
0 x