Swiss vs. Dutch, then and now

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Re: Swiss vs. Dutch, then and now

Post by silentreader »

Hats Off wrote:
Bootstrap wrote:So ... in modern Europe, the Swiss are far more "German" than the Germans, at least in German-speaking Switzerland. Are the Mennonites who think of themselves as descendants of the Swiss Brethren?

And how much of the differences people are talking about are cultural rather than theological? Things like how warm a congregation feels to you?
Most Mennonites of Swiss Brethern background think of themselves as being English. And I have absolutely no experience with the Dutch/Russian/Mexican people.
I can only reference the DRM people in our area, of which there is a fairly large group of Old Colony and liberalized Old Colony people. They have had the tendency to keep to themselves, some of that is/was because of a language barrier. Over the past few years a very small number have been joining other (Swiss) Mennonite churches in the area, largely I think because of contacts they made in the job market and also possibly also through contacts made at a local public school which is probably at least 95% Mennonite.
(Before you sneer about Mennonites at a public school, be aware that the only reason the school is still open and flourishing is because the public school board has co-operated with the parents from various Mennonite groups to tailor a curriculum that is suitable for the faith ad culture. How long this will be permitted is uncertain).
But I digress...
My wife volunteers at an ESL workshop preparing lunch for the 'Mexican' Mennonite ladies enrolled there, and also has done some volunteer driving taking mothers and children to doctor appointments, etc. The ladies are very reserved, possibly somewhat because of their poor English, but are friendly after they become comfortable with my wife.
It was interesting to us that when my wife was recovering from her first hip replacement, a couple of the 'Mexican' Mennonite ladies each brought a meal in for us.
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Re: Swiss vs. Dutch, then and now

Post by Hats Off »

My daughter taught children from a Mexican Mennonite family last year. A boy from that family drowned in a farm pond so she ended up going to the funeral. That was a new experience for her. It used to be years ago that the Mexican Mennonite families were not desirable renters. Today they have a much better reputation as renters. (also as workers.)
0 x