Your view on the modern sports culture?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Your view on the modern sports culture?

Post by steve-in-kville »

I think this comes up here every once and again. But its been on my mind as of late, mainly because I work with guys that live for this stuff... NFL, MLB, Nascar, soccer, you name it. I don't follow any mainstream sports anymore. I used to be a Penn State football fan because I once met their former coach, Joe Paterno. haven't really had an interest since he resigned and later died.

So, I would like to hear your personal stand on two subjects:

1) The participation in sports (baseball teams, volleyball teams, running, cycling, etc).

2) Being a fan of mainstream sports (Nascar, baseball, football, whatever).
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Your view on the modern sports culture?

Post by Bootstrap »

I like playing sports - and even Paul tells us that physical training is "of some benefit". Mostly, I like social sports like volleyball that feel good to the people involved or solitary sports like running and bicycling where I am alone with God for long periods of time.

There's something about running long distances on single track trails in the woods that really makes me feel good about life and connected to God.

Watching sports? If someone invites me to a super bowl party, I'll go, but I get bored watching sports. Why should they have all the fun?
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

I'm not going to go into defending my positions, not enough time.

1) The participation in sports (baseball teams, volleyball teams, running, cycling, etc).

My opinion is that this is dangerous, but more so for the youth. There is nothing wrong with a friendly game, but do you really need to keep score?
Volleyball can be great fun without the net...

Idolatry in my mind. As for those that would say it matters how much you care... could you say the same thing about the guy pretending to worship Caesar?
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

idol worship has been normalized to a horrifying degree.
when i was young, idol worship was feared, and known to be grave sin.
for many years now, the words have been normalized in all sorts of entertainment, it's openly coveted. few seem to have any notion that it is grave sin. entertainers are often thought of as gods, it's a goal.

sports and other forms of entertainment have become interchangeable, much as so called "news" reporting is now more entertainment than actual news reporting.

when my husband was alive, he enjoyed local university football and basketball. we had season tickets. i enjoyed those days, but, i would not want to repeat.

my view of it now is that it's all about creating idols+entertainers, not a good or healthy path.

separate from organized sports, games and physical activities can be healthy+fun.
idol worship needs to be recognized for the sin it is. it's not a toy to use for fun.
"no other gods." :-|
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Physical sports are fine, in my opinion, so long as they do not become consuming, prideful, hyper-competitive, or immodest.

Keeping up with mainstream sports? Absolutely not. It's flirting with idolatry, wordly entertainment, and excess.
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Post by Sudsy »

steve-in-kville wrote: So, I would like to hear your personal stand on two subjects:

I am both a sports participant and enjoy following some sports on TV. I think engaging on this forum is a sport as it is used for entertainment and often gets quite competitive. I enjoy watching some sports to see if the 'under dog' wins. I have played on teams and individually in track & field events, hockey, baseball, lobball, golf, basketball, fishing, hunting, birding and various other ways of being in this world.

Regarding idols, anything and anyone can be idolized. Yes, sport pros are often idolized and so are Christian faith groups. God knows if we love in a revered way anything above Himself.

Being 'of this world', to me, is putting the same value in worldly stuff and making that your main pursuit. Being 'in the world' gives opportunities to show the world how a believer can participate and retain their Christian values.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Sudsy wrote:
Regarding idols, anything and anyone can be idolized. Yes, sport pros are often idolized and so are Christian faith groups. God knows if we love in a revered way anything above Himself.
I am on the fence with this entire subject. And I really appreciate the above quote. Simply gleaning from some other threads, it would appear that modified trucks and hunting can also be an idol!
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

steve-in-kville wrote:I think this comes up here every once and again. But its been on my mind as of late, mainly because I work with guys that live for this stuff... NFL, MLB, Nascar, soccer, you name it. I don't follow any mainstream sports anymore. I used to be a Penn State football fan because I once met their former coach, Joe Paterno. haven't really had an interest since he resigned and later died.

So, I would like to hear your personal stand on two subjects:

1) I used to enjoy participating in some sports as long as winning wasn't the most important part of it. TMB has pretty much ended that.

2) I liked watching occasional live sporting events, mostly to watch the skills of individual players. I've gotten turned off from that for various reasons, lifestyles and attitudes of probably most professionals, rowdy crowds, companies who sponsor the teams, my recognition of a lack of eternal value in my time usage....
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

steve-in-kville wrote:
Sudsy wrote: Regarding idols, anything and anyone can be idolized.
Yes, sport pros are often idolized and so are Christian faith groups.
God knows if we love in a revered way anything above Himself.
I am on the fence with this entire subject.
And I really appreciate the above quote.
Simply gleaning from some other threads, it would appear that modified trucks and hunting can also be an idol!
i'm definitely not on the fence. :P
idolatry is a big thing for me, it has been for a long time. i agree 100% that idols can be made of anything - including thoughts+ideas! so, ditches everywhere! but ..
KingdomBuilder wrote:Physical sports are fine, in my opinion, so long as they do not become consuming, prideful, hyper-competitive, or immodest.
Keeping up with mainstream sports? Absolutely not. It's flirting with idolatry, wordly entertainment, and excess.
.. definitely agree with this.
pro sports has gone 'way over the deep end. everyone who pays taxes contributes. wealthy corporations are deep into the public treasury. (not just pro sports corporations, but, they make an eye-popping example.)

college sports feed pro sports, so, what can be expected?
i know of people who hold their young children back in school in hopes of gaining size+strength to compete later, increase odds of scholarships, etc. it all begins long before college.

quite a lot has been reported on the NFL, a quick search brings plenty of results:

"Bipartisan Effort To Strip NFL Of Taxpayer Funding For Stadiums Is Gaining Steam"
http://www.dailywire.com/news/21546/bip ... oseph-curl
"Why the federal government should stop spending billions on private sports stadiums"
https://www.brookings.edu/research/why- ... -stadiums/

i don't mean to come across too harshly on this. i fear i am. :(
mainly, i've thot a lot about the general question for years. if you're just beginning to question, that's a different place to be. in my view, it's important to question idolatry on all levels. false gods are insidious and relentless.

when scriptures say, "no other gods," they mean it. God knows it's not the easy path.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Post by Sudsy »

steve-in-kville wrote:
Sudsy wrote:
I am on the fence with this entire subject. And I really appreciate the above quote. Simply gleaning from some other threads, it would appear that modified trucks and hunting can also be an idol!
Might I suggest reading Romans 14. I don't want at all to suggest my way is the right way. If we can do things unto the Lord in an honouring way, then we should do it. At the same time we are not to condemn other Christians for how they honor the Lord and serve Him for the Kingdom of God is one of good living, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit. One must decide for themselves and then not do something in another's face that could cause them to fall. To some extent we are probably sharing too much here that might cause another to follow and stumble. Romans 14 indicates there is a private side to our personal convictions and it is good to keep these private. It is God we ultimately will report to and not each other.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit