Schleitheim - original text

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Schleitheim - original text

Post by Bootstrap »

I know at least several people can read this, so I thought I'd mention that I found the original text of Schleitheim online:

http://www.museum-schleitheim.ch/taeufe ... ntnis1.htm
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Re: Schleitheim - original text

Post by ohio jones »

Cool. 8-)

The page at Bible Views that Sudsy linked to in his thread is J. C. Wenger's 1945 translation. J. H. Yoder's 1977 translation is at Anabaptistwiki and has quite a few footnotes useful in comparing the translations to each other and to the original.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Post by Sudsy »

Reading through the 'Congregational Order' I don't know about other Mennonite churches but ours especially violate number 6. I wonder why some orders reference brothers and sisters and some brothers only. Numbers 4, 6 and 7 reference brothers only. Where these items ones that excluded the women ?
6. All gluttony shall be avoided among the brothers who are gathered in the congregation; serve a soup or a minimum of vegetable and meat, for eating and drinking are not the kingdom of heaven
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Sudsy, are you sure that is a quote from Schleitheim?

Can we use this thread to identify where you can find Schleitheim in the original, translations, and comparisons among translations?
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Post by Sudsy »

Bootstrap wrote:Sudsy, are you sure that is a quote from Schleitheim?

Can we use this thread to identify where you can find Schleitheim in the original, translations, and comparisons among translations?
I took it from the link ohio jones showed Anabaptistwiki. OK I won't reference the content of any.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Sudsy wrote:
Bootstrap wrote:Sudsy, are you sure that is a quote from Schleitheim?

I took it from the link ohio jones showed Anabaptistwiki. OK I won't reference the content of any.
Yes, the page indicates it is text from a separate confession that may have been circulated together with Schleitheim. Might be worth discussing in a separate thread.
0 x