Are Plain Catholics Anabaptists?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Wayne in Maine
Location: Slightly above sea level, in the dear old State of Maine
Affiliation: Yielded

Are Plain Catholics Anabaptists?

Post by Wayne in Maine »

MaxPC wrote:Both the Schleitheim and Dordrecht confessions share common theological ground with our theology. Both are excellent.
Given the fact that Anabaptism was a reaction against Rome, and that the Schleitheim confession explicitly condemns certain Roman practices, I would like to know, from people familiar with the Plain Catholic movement, what common theological ground they have with the Dortrecht and Schleitheim confessions.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Re: Are Plain Catholics Anabaptists?

Post by MaxPC »

Interesting question, Wayne as neither group is exactly the same as they were 500 years. What are your goals for this question?
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

MaxPC wrote:Interesting question, Wayne as neither group is exactly the same as they were 500 years. What are your goals for this question?
We have many long threads where you ask detailed questions about various Anabaptist groups, and we give you straightforward answers to these questions, usually without questioning your motivation for asking the questions.

Why not respond to us the same way? When you evade questions or even attack people for asking them, that raises questions. We have been asking some of these questions for years. Simple, straightforward answers are helpful for establishing trust.

You told us you found both of these confessions excellent - and those confessions are the same as they were 500 years ago, they have not been rewritten. Do you agree with everything they say? If not, what exactly is it that you identify with in them, and how do you relate that to your Catholic faith? Anabaptism is a word that refers to adult believer baptism, rejecting infant baptism. Do you think of Plain Catholics as Anabaptists? If not, what parts of the Schleitheim confession do you identify with, and why?
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Post by Sudsy »

Wayne, I will really be shocked if any of the aforementioned questions are answered but I wouldn't mind looking at these confessions out of curiosity. Do you know of a link(s) to these for easy reading ?
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dordrecht ... n_of_Faith
gameo.org/index.php?title=Dordrecht_Confession_of_Faith_(Mennonite,_1632)
home.mennonitechurch.ca/1632-Dordrecht
baptiststudiesonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/.../the-schleitheim-confession-2.pd...
thecommonlife.com.au/rainham/wp-content/uploads/.../1-Schleitheim-Confession.pdf
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schleitheim_Confession
Is this what you were looking for?
0 x
Hats Off

Post by Hats Off »

I looked up Plain Catholics and found instructions on kapp making. The pictures show people dressed in Amish style. Interesting.
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Hats Off wrote:I looked up Plain Catholics and found instructions on kapp making. The pictures show people dressed in Amish style. Interesting.
Try doing a Google image search on the images on their website.
0 x
Hats Off

Post by Hats Off »

I did a google search and ended up with pictures of women wearing kapps but also of clergy wearing such a long robe or mantel that they need one person just to carry it. Incredible pictures of incredible worship! In the most ceremonies and uniforms, there is absolutely nothing to compare with Anabaptists.
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Hats Off wrote:I did a google search and ended up with pictures of women wearing kapps but also of clergy wearing such a long robe or mantel that they need one person just to carry it. Incredible pictures of incredible worship! In the most ceremonies and uniforms, there is absolutely nothing to compare with Anabaptists.
Now take any one of those images of women wearing kapps, or the images of homes or furniture, or any other image of Plain Catholics that looks Mennonite or Amish, and try fact checking the photo the same way you would a suspicious viral photo:

Fact Check that Viral Photo in Two Clicks
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Hats Off wrote:I did a google search and ended up with pictures of women wearing kapps but also of clergy wearing such a long robe or mantel that they need one person just to carry it. Incredible pictures of incredible worship! In the most ceremonies and uniforms, there is absolutely nothing to compare with Anabaptists.
The worship service of the ancient Churches, or more liturgical services, are supposed to be patterned after the heavenly worship- that is why you see it this way- I would not be good at conveying all of this, but the idea of liturgical worship in the early church had a lot to do with heavenly worship, and liturgical worship had it's roots in Judaism but the pattern in appearance & liturgy continued but in Spirit and Truth- with Christ being the head of the Church :
Hebrews 12:
22 But you have come to Mount Zion and to the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, to an innumerable company of angels, 23 to the general assembly and church of the firstborn who are registered in heaven, to God the Judge of all, to the spirits of just men made perfect, 24 to Jesus the Mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling that speaks better things than that of Abel.
0 x