Are Plain Catholics Anabaptists?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Re: Are Plain Catholics Anabaptists?

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

temporal1 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:08 am 2017: Wayne asked
Wayne in Maine wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:59 pm
MaxPC wrote: That comment was posted by a person who apparently had no understanding of who and what we are and certainly that person misunderstood anything Joyce Laird may have said. Joyce Laird did not start the Plain Catholics and has never proposed we join in Plain Catholic community. Plain Catholics have been in existence 100+ years. Such is the nature of forums when people don't read carefully or persist in their own ideas in spite of any response given. As you can see, people misunderstand us just as they misunderstand Anabaptists, Methodists, Baptists, etc. :lol:
Who, Max, is Joyce Laird? I saw her a lot on several Yahoo Forums, is she a "Plain Catholic" too?

2010 / Interesting page about Joyce Laird, Wayne might have appreciated seeing it:

Plain Catholics – living the simple life
January 29, 2010 by joyfulpapist
https://joyfulpapist.wordpress.com/2010 ... mple-life/
✏️ CynthiaGee WROTE:
.. Mrs. Laird was formerly a frequent poster on several Mennonite/Anabaptist Yahoo groups (though at the time she didn’t make it known that she was Catholic), which is where I first became aware of her. She invited me to join her Yahoogroup, and I was a member there for a number of years, and an active poster until fairly recently, when comments to the list became heavily censored.

This spring the list was purged of most of its less active posters, myself included; one of the last things I recall being discussed there was the planning of a trip to a Midwestern state where the members of the group would travel to meet with one another and discuss the feasibility of actually starting an Amish-Catholic community.

And, interest in this movement appears to be growing.

Here is a blog by a man in Texas, which takes the idea of Amish Catholicism and an Amish-Catholic monastery/commune one step further:
http://rosariansofthepoorchrist.blogspot.com/
(blog removed)
Unfortunately, all dead links.
0 x
:hug:
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

JM, there are archived copies on archive.org. Can take a while to poke around and find a date that works.
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:13 pm
temporal1 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:08 am 2017: Wayne asked
Wayne in Maine wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:59 pm
Who, Max, is Joyce Laird? I saw her a lot on several Yahoo Forums, is she a "Plain Catholic" too?

2010 / Interesting page about Joyce Laird, Wayne might have appreciated seeing it:

Plain Catholics – living the simple life
January 29, 2010 by joyfulpapist
https://joyfulpapist.wordpress.com/2010 ... mple-life/
✏️ CynthiaGee WROTE:
.. Mrs. Laird was formerly a frequent poster on several Mennonite/Anabaptist Yahoo groups (though at the time she didn’t make it known that she was Catholic), which is where I first became aware of her. She invited me to join her Yahoogroup, and I was a member there for a number of years, and an active poster until fairly recently, when comments to the list became heavily censored.

This spring the list was purged of most of its less active posters, myself included; one of the last things I recall being discussed there was the planning of a trip to a Midwestern state where the members of the group would travel to meet with one another and discuss the feasibility of actually starting an Amish-Catholic community.

And, interest in this movement appears to be growing.

Here is a blog by a man in Texas, which takes the idea of Amish Catholicism and an Amish-Catholic monastery/commune one step further:
http://rosariansofthepoorchrist.blogspot.com/
(blog removed)
Unfortunately, all dead links.
The Rosarians of the Poor Christ claimed to be "Plain Catholic" with an explicit missionary focus.
Welcome to our proposed Roman Catholic Religious Society! By living a simple "Plain Catholic"/"Cathamish"/ Catholic "Amish-like" life "off the grid," we hope to create a retreat and discernment center in the beauty of nature and a base of evangelizing operations throughout the rural Appalachian & Southern U.S. area.
And certainly not in any way Anabaptist..
The religious would be "contemplatives in action," in order to allow them to exercise their charism of preaching, leading retreats, apologetics, and winning souls for the Catholic Faith in the rural and mountain regions of America, headquartered in the Appalachians.

As a society, the Rosarians would swear absolute fidelity to the See of Peter and would predominately celebrate the Extraordinary Form of the Roman Rite for the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass, making use of all available means to help others and convert them to the one true Faith.

Dedicated to the renewal of the Church upon its foundations of Sacred Tradition, the Rosarians place themselves under the patronage of Our Lady of the Wilderness.
1 x
Judas Maccabeus

Josh wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:12 pm JM, there are archived copies on archive.org. Can take a while to poke around and find a date that works.
I may just poke around after I finish my choir music. Since I don’t read round notes, I have to work really hard, just to keep up.
1 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:40 pm
Josh wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:12 pm JM, there are archived copies on archive.org. Can take a while to poke around and find a date that works.
I may just poke around after I finish my choir music. Since I don’t read round notes, I have to work really hard, just to keep up.
you couldn’t open Joyful Papist?
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Judas Maccabeus

temporal1 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:35 pm
Judas Maccabeus wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:40 pm
you couldn’t open Joyful Papist?
Yes, but it is clearly not what is under discussion here. We are talking about an organized group, not a blog post.
1 x
Judas Maccabeus

Got it. Interestingly enough, I found it. Found a 303 error, with the text saying the blog had been removed in Arabic, have not figured that out. Earlier, I found some stuff from someone, looked typical, until I found a reference to some monks they were hanging around with that owned the island of Papa Stronsay in Scotland. That rang a bell, it is the monastery of the Transalpine Redemptorists. This group was formerly associated with SSPX. This is the only link I have found between the “plain Catholics “ and any formal group. These are Latin mass proponents who until recently were at odds with the Vatican, they are highly conservative and traditional. Ladies, don’t think of wearing pants to church. Are SSPX associated Catholics what are presented as plain Catholics?

I was expecting to find a link sooner or later, I did not think it would run through Scotland. I was expecting Winona Mn.
1 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

^^Scotland?
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Judas Maccabeus

temporal1 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:10 am^^Scotland?
Still working on it. Currently I am still unconvinced that there are catholics that are "plain" in the sense that Mennonites can be plain, but I am finding a large number of fairly well organized catholics that are what I would call "retro."
1 x