Church leadership: term limits

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Re: Church leadership: term limits

Post by ken_sylvania »

Should we do term limits on church membership too while we're at it?
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

ken_sylvania wrote:Should we do term limits on church membership too while we're at it?
That's a good idea. Require members to go through the same process new members are required to every 4-5 years.
0 x
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Post by gcdonner »

ken_sylvania wrote:Should we do term limits on church membership too while we're at it?
Or how about proving that you are genuinely converted? How many members would fail for lack of fruit?
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
ken_sylvania

Post by ken_sylvania »

gcdonner wrote:
Or how about proving that you are genuinely converted? How many members would fail for lack of fruit?
In that respect maybe there would be value in broadening the scope of the semi-annual council meeting questions.

I would say this fruit inspection process should be ongoing, with members being willing to challenge each other in areas where the fruit is starting to suggest heart problems. Are we showing brotherly love if we believe a fellow church member is not truly converted and we don't speak to him about it?
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

ken_sylvania wrote:I would say this fruit inspection process should be ongoing, with members being willing to challenge each other in areas where the fruit is starting to suggest heart problems. Are we showing brotherly love if we believe a fellow church member is not truly converted and we don't speak to him about it?
We aren't, but my experience is that challenging a fellow brother who might not be genuinely converted is an excruciating process. It seems everyone who does this walks away from the experience pretty damaged and decides not to go through the agony again.
0 x
Martin
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by Martin »

Josh wrote:
ken_sylvania wrote:I would say this fruit inspection process should be ongoing, with members being willing to challenge each other in areas where the fruit is starting to suggest heart problems. Are we showing brotherly love if we believe a fellow church member is not truly converted and we don't speak to him about it?
We aren't, but my experience is that challenging a fellow brother who might not be genuinely converted is an excruciating process. It seems everyone who does this walks away from the experience pretty damaged and decides not to go through the agony again.
I agree that this is damaging. Fortunately, I'm not part of a church that uses the brotherly address. A good book on this issue is "Twisted Scriptures".
0 x
ken_sylvania

Post by ken_sylvania »

Martin wrote: Fortunately, I'm not part of a church that uses the brotherly address. A good book on this issue is "Twisted Scriptures".
How does your church address sin in a member's life?
Would the book you're referring to be the one by Mary Alice Chrnalogar?
0 x
Martin

Post by Martin »

ken_sylvania wrote:
Martin wrote: Fortunately, I'm not part of a church that uses the brotherly address. A good book on this issue is "Twisted Scriptures".
How does your church address sin in a member's life?
Would the book you're referring to be the one by Mary Alice Chrnalogar?
Yes, Mary Alice Chrnaloger.
0 x
mike

Post by mike »

Josh wrote:
That's a good idea. Require members to go through the same process new members are required to every 4-5 years.
Do you think that the lists of qualifications for an elder (and deacon) indicate that there are different standards for an elder than for other members of a church?
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
ken_sylvania

Post by ken_sylvania »

mike wrote:Do you think that the lists of qualifications for an elder (and deacon) indicate that there are different standards for an elder than for other members of a church?
I think so. But that doesn't necessarily mean that it's OK for the other members to, for instance, have multiple wives, get drunk, have out-of-control families, etc.
0 x