Socializing with pagans

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Re: Socializing with pagans

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

JimFoxvog wrote:I have a neo-hippy pagan friend. He has some interest in spirituality and has visited our church, but is more apt to refer to "the goddess" than God. He invited me (and another Christian friend) and others to a campfire. At first, I was inclined not to respond due to the crude name of the gathering, the bat-shi* crazy hippy campfire. But yesterday's gospel reading was how Jesus came both eating and drinking and was called a glutton and drunkard. Then today's gospel was about the call of Matthew and Jesus being criticized for eating with tax collectors and sinners.

So I'm inclined to go. He might be reaching out spiritually. He's labeled the event "family friendly" on Facebook, so I don't expect open pot smoking or for the event to be clothing optional, both things I might expect from him otherwise.

Any thoughts on such socializing?
Pagans do occasionally do their "Thing" skyclad, I have stumbled onto one of their events in my local park. Please drive yourself.

J.M.
0 x
:hug:
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

If it's a trap, you'll know right away. Like someone else said, drive yourself, and make sure you are not blocked in. (So you can get away if necessary.)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

Hats Off wrote:
JimFoxvog wrote: I guess the idea of being concerned with the "appearance of ungodliness" is one I'm thinking I am called to reject.
And yet there is the scripture that says to
abstain from all appearance of evil.
so that is just one more scripture that does not apply to this age?
I think it applies. But I've been taught 1 Thessalonians 5.22 means to avoid doing every kind of evil, that it does not refer to "appearance" in the sense of what something looks like. Check out different translations.

Jesus had a lot to say on the Sermon on the Mount about trying to look holy.

But the reason I started this thread is that it is a bit out of my comfort zone. I don't have a whole lot of experience of reaching across cultural divisions. I'm uncomfortable with the crude name. I've often found a campfire atmosphere is a good place for reflections on things like the meaning of life. If I thought we might be tempted to illegal or immoral activity, I would surely avoid the event.
0 x
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

I don't see socializing with pagans as a command anymore than I see turning over tables in [churches] as one.

My opinion is that Jesus did what He did in order to fully reveal his character and to dispel any falsities against his character that may rise.
His doings do not and indeed cannot contradict the instructions I've mentioned earlier in the thread (and others).
Last edited by KingdomBuilder on Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

JimFoxvog wrote:Jesus had a lot to say on the Sermon on the Mount about trying to look holy.
Big difference between trying to look holy and looking holy because you are holy..
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Wayne in Maine
Location: Slightly above sea level, in the dear old State of Maine
Affiliation: Yielded

Post by Wayne in Maine »

JimFoxvog wrote: Yes, the hangup on the name is why I almost ignored the invitation. I have the same problem. I have difficulty listening to those who use a lot of coarse language. But I'm coming to believe this prevents me from being a good friend to unbelievers.
When my daughter wanted to go to Vocational High School, the foul language she would be exposed to (including from the teacher) was a concern. The end result of her attending there was a tempering of the language to the point where they eventually had a swear jar (you had to pay a fine into the jar whenever you swore) in the classroom.

If we can bear with inane off-the-wall choruses having bad theology in church, then we can bear with a few vulgar words spoken in our presence.

You may face a few challenges there but your response will be watched and you can be a good witness by how you behave. I think socializing with publicans and sinners is a lot more effective than holding signs or handling out tracts.
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

JimFoxvog wrote:Any thoughts on such socializing?
Not sure how to answer this. Even though I work for a "Christian" organization, we are forbidden from discussing politics and religion. I work with several atheists and some of my co-workers are even anti-Christian. I just learn to keep my mouth shut. Sure, its not the way God would want it, but its the world we live in.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

For me, a lot of this depends on my particular temptations. I went to a party hosted by a gay coworker where I was the only straight person present, and it was really no issue. My temptations don't run that direction. On the other hand, I don't think God is calling me to be a missionary to women with loose morals, that ministry would not align well with my temptations.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

KingdomBuilder wrote:
JimFoxvog wrote:Jesus had a lot to say on the Sermon on the Mount about trying to look holy.
Big difference between trying to look holy and looking holy because you are holy..
I agree, but I also think that avoiding "every appearance" of evil is a mistranslation. I think the translations that tell us to avoid "every form" of evil are more accurate.

I don't think the Bible encourages us to be eye servants. On the other hand, I do think it encourages us to not be a stumbling block to our brethren. So I think it's helpful to think about what the concern is. Some of my Christian brethren are very nervous about the work we do with Syrian refugees, but I think serving refugees is very much what the Gospel calls me to. Some of my Christian brethren are very concerned about keeping our relationships with women clear, and that seems like good practical wisdom for temptations I am vulnerable to.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

I would consider going once. But with the purpose of glorifying God. If you reflect a holy life and they are not interested in that, they probably won't invite you again. If they are open to that, then you may have influence and should use that influence to effect a change as Wayne mentioned.

But as I said, I would be going with a specific purpose and not be going to be "one of the boys" so to speak, which is a fine line between being holy and humble, vs.coming off as holier-than-thou and I-thank-thee-that-I-am-not-as-other-men-are. Christians by new nature should stick out like a sore thumb at these places.
0 x