Socializing with pagans

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Socializing with pagans

Post by JimFoxvog »

I have a neo-hippy pagan friend. He has some interest in spirituality and has visited our church, but is more apt to refer to "the goddess" than God. He invited me (and another Christian friend) and others to a campfire. At first, I was inclined not to respond due to the crude name of the gathering, the bat-shi* crazy hippy campfire. But yesterday's gospel reading was how Jesus came both eating and drinking and was called a glutton and drunkard. Then today's gospel was about the call of Matthew and Jesus being criticized for eating with tax collectors and sinners.

So I'm inclined to go. He might be reaching out spiritually. He's labeled the event "family friendly" on Facebook, so I don't expect open pot smoking or for the event to be clothing optional, both things I might expect from him otherwise.

Any thoughts on such socializing?
0 x
thebluffs
Affiliation:

Re: Socializing with pagans

Post by thebluffs »

Depending on the context of your relationship, and provided it was bathed in much prayer by other believers who speak into my life, I would be there. It just may be an opportunity to share the counter cultural truth claims of the gospel with a group of people that don't normally get/make the opportunity to hear them.
0 x
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Not a real answer, but I am in a somewhat similar situation. Somewhat. It involves my transportation to and my time spent at school.

Personally, I'd choose to not go. Going could give yourself the appearance of ungodliness, and I've found that social gatherings designed for revelry aren't much of the place for evangelism.
Maybe I'm getting hung up on the name..
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

KingdomBuilder wrote:Personally, I'd choose to not go. Going could give yourself the appearance of ungodliness, and I've found that social gatherings designed for revelry aren't much of the place for evangelism.
Maybe I'm getting hung up on the name...
I guess the idea of being concerned with the "appearance of ungodliness" is one I'm thinking I am called to reject. Isn't that what Jesus rejected when he socialized with tax collectors and sinners, giving some the impression he was has a glutton and a drunkard? I recently read an account of a young woman who became open to listening to the gospel after a Christian coworker dropped and knife and uttered the f-word. I think our appearance of godliness may often be a stumbling block to seekers.

Yes, the hangup on the name is why I almost ignored the invitation. I have the same problem. I have difficulty listening to those who use a lot of coarse language. But I'm coming to believe this prevents me from being a good friend to unbelievers.
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Post by Sudsy »

As you shared about Jesus. If we are a follower, sounds like a place Jesus would go to see what doors may open for spiritual discussions. If the conversation wanders into sinful stuff, you can always wander apart and sometimes a curious person will follow you. Then one on one you can talk about Jesus. Imo, try to avoid talking about church and keep the focus on Jesus. The Gospel is all about Him. Let us know if you go and if you had an opportunity to share Jesus. I love to hear Christians willling to get out there as the old hymn says - 'launch out into the deep and let the shore lines go'.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

JimFoxvog wrote: I guess the idea of being concerned with the "appearance of ungodliness" is one I'm thinking I am called to reject.
And yet there is the scripture that says to
abstain from all appearance of evil.
so that is just one more scripture that does not apply to this age?
0 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

As a former missionary who spent years 'socializing' with animist 'pagans', going to their 'social & religious events', spending hours walking the jungle trails with them (and earlier in my life 'socializing' with drug-users of the hippie persuasion in the 70's & 80's), I'd go. (And in both cases, by the way, people came to know Christ.)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
KingdomBuilder

Post by KingdomBuilder »

JimFoxvog wrote:I think our appearance of godliness may often be a stumbling block to seekers.
Seekers of what, I might ask?
God knows who will receive him and who will not- my appearance of ungodliness will not persuade anyone to a Biblical Christianity. It's the Lord who will do that.
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Post by Sudsy »

Hats Off wrote:
JimFoxvog wrote: I guess the idea of being concerned with the "appearance of ungodliness" is one I'm thinking I am called to reject.
And yet there is the scripture that says to
abstain from all appearance of evil.
so that is just one more scripture that does not apply to this age?
I think we should look at what Jesus did and how He was accused of being sinful by mingling with those who were thought to be the worst of sinners. If this verse means we should run and hide from any appearance of evil, then Jesus would have sinned. So, imo, it is not about mingling with sinners to share our faith but to stay away from evil areas where we don't share our faith and may be drawn into their sinning. Thoughts ?
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
KingdomBuilder

Post by KingdomBuilder »

I realize that Jesus did associate (perhaps closely) with such folks. However, I also realize that we still possess a humanness that Jesus did not have.
I cannot do all that Christ did in fullness (see "walking on water" for more details).
I'm not saying I cannot socialize with pagans- I do all the time- but I am saying that I'm aware of the dangers such exposure may pose to my faith. I have to be deliberate and conscious to strive for a Spirit-given holiness in conduct, company, appearance, and thought.

We're called to be strangers, separate, and holy. For me, this would imply not partaking in the revelry or entertaining of this wicked generation.
0 x