Socializing with pagans

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Re: Socializing with pagans

Post by silentreader »

JimFoxvog wrote:
silentreader wrote:
In any of these scenarios, there is still a profound difference between Him and us.
Very much so. But we are still called to follow his example, aren't we? We will fail many times, but we can be forgiven!
I'm not disagreeing with that at all, but depending on our bent or our past, there may be circumstances that godly wisdom would dictate we should avoid, if we are recovering from an addiction, for instance. I'm not sure we should intentionally put ourselves in (spiritual) harm's way.
As the KJV puts it, "Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? God forbid."
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

anyone here flipped any tables in churches lately??
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

KingdomBuilder wrote:anyone here flipped any tables in churches lately??
I considered it, but was not bold enough.
0 x
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

JimFoxvog wrote:
KingdomBuilder wrote:anyone here flipped any tables in churches lately??
I considered it, but was not bold enough.
In my opinion there are some examples that we do not have the authority or the holiness to follow exactly. Having said that, though, let us not use that to justify not doing what we should be doing.
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

silentreader wrote:
JimFoxvog wrote:
silentreader wrote:
In any of these scenarios, there is still a profound difference between Him and us.
Very much so. But we are still called to follow his example, aren't we? We will fail many times, but we can be forgiven!
I'm not disagreeing with that at all, but depending on our bent or our past, there may be circumstances that godly wisdom would dictate we should avoid, if we are recovering from an addiction, for instance. I'm not sure we should intentionally put ourselves in (spiritual) harm's way.
As the KJV puts it, "Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? God forbid."
There are many who are working with those who are in the same addictions they were delivered from. I believe in a deliverance salvation that takes away addictions. My father and uncles experienced this in cigarettes, booze, swearing, etc. When the binds of sin are broken we are free indeed.

Salvation Army officers I knew would go "bar hoping" on a Saturday night and as they had a soft drink with those in the bar they would hand out their magazine and collect donations for the poor. Often they got into spiritual conversations as their mission was to reach these souls bound in sin. I'm not saying every new convert needs to get out there quickly into the hangouts they came from but often the older believer would take them along and show them how to witness.

Recovering from an addiction is not the same as being delivered from one. In deliverance, God takes away the desire. What we need is to believe in this deliverance Gospel and to get out there and recruit followers for Christ. Preaching at myself again but it is what I have been taught I need to do to be a disciple.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Gene
Affiliation: CMC

Post by Gene »

Wayne in Maine wrote:
If we can bear with inane off-the-wall choruses having bad theology in church, then we can bear with a few vulgar words spoken in our presence.
Perhaps the first time the use of Contemporary Christian music in church has been compared unfavorably with vulgarity of speech, though it must be conceded that I have not conducted an exhaustive research project on the topic. The theology of the statement aside, self examination reveals a decided preference for the latter over the former, while this should not be construed as a blanket endorsement of either, as a use of one horrible thing as a reference illustrating the even more deplorable nature of another thing does not upon the first thing necessarily confer any expression of desirability. Now returning this thread to the discussion previously in progress with apologies for the disruption.
0 x