Swiss Brethren?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Re: Swiss Brethren?

Post by MaxPC »

ohio jones wrote:
MaxPC wrote:
Wayne in Maine wrote: I'm quite curious about this because both are quite distinctly anti-Rome in a broad sense and in many details. Could you quote which portions of Schleitheim and Dordrecht your "plan Catholics" share with the early Anabaptists?
Wayne, I'll be glad to answer your question off list via PM in order to keep this thread on topic. PM me if you're interested.
Wayne isn't the only one curious about this. If as the OP of this thread you feel it's off topic, a new thread would be fine.
PM is better: it allows for uninterrupted conversations when people have questions unrelated to the thread. ;)
Returning to the topic of the Swiss Brethren: it's my understanding that from the earliest days, the men did not wear mustaches because of the military custom of wearing one. Is this true? If so, what are some other externals practiced by the early Swiss Brethren? Did they pay taxes? Salute or not salute political and military leaders or flags?
ohio jones wrote:I'm not aware of objections to mustaches until the 19th century. Does anyone know of sources earlier than this?
Thank you. I haven't found any indication earlier than the 19th century either. That's not saying there are no earlier records. I simply haven't found any earlier than that century.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

MaxPC wrote:
ohio jones wrote:
MaxPC wrote: Wayne, I'll be glad to answer your question off list via PM in order to keep this thread on topic. PM me if you're interested.
Wayne isn't the only one curious about this. If as the OP of this thread you feel it's off topic, a new thread would be fine.
PM is better: it allows for uninterrupted conversations when people have questions unrelated to the thread. ;)
Ok, but if your uninterrupted conversation experiences uninterrupted interruptions due to the volume of PMs, don't blame me. 8-)
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

ohio jones wrote: Ok, but if your uninterrupted conversation experiences uninterrupted interruptions due to the volume of PMs, don't blame me. 8-)
That would make a mighty fine tongue twister. Can you say it 5 times rapidly? On second thought, you should be careful because that sentence has the potential to cause a strained vocal cord. :lol:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Have Catholics ever taught against wearing the moustache?
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

MaxPC wrote:
ohio jones wrote:
MaxPC wrote:Returning to the topic of the Swiss Brethren: it's my understanding that from the earliest days, the men did not wear mustaches because of the military custom of wearing one. Is this true? If so, what are some other externals practiced by the early Swiss Brethren? Did they pay taxes? Salute or not salute political and military leaders or flags?
I'm not aware of objections to mustaches until the 19th century. Does anyone know of sources earlier than this?
Thank you. I haven't found any indication earlier than the 19th century either. That's not saying there are no earlier records. I simply haven't found any earlier than that century.
I mustache you this: Since the earliest days of the Swiss Brethren were in the 16th century, and there's not a whisker of evidence the custom existed before the 19th, where did the understanding that the early Swiss Brethren did not wear mustaches come from? After all, the few surviving photos of Manz and Blaurock (see Gameo, for example) show them with unshaven upper lips.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

ohio jones wrote:
MaxPC wrote:
ohio jones wrote: I'm not aware of objections to mustaches until the 19th century. Does anyone know of sources earlier than this?
I mustache you this: Since the earliest days of the Swiss Brethren were in the 16th century, and there's not a whisker of evidence the custom existed before the 19th, where did the understanding that the early Swiss Brethren did not wear mustaches come from? After all, the few surviving photos of Manz and Blaurock (see Gameo, for example) show them with unshaven upper lips.
:up: :lol:
I wonder the same thing about the "mustache perception". Perhaps we can put Hercule Poirot on the case - now that was an interesting mustache!
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)