Introduction to Mennonite Doctrine & Practice

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Re: Introduction to Mennonite Doctrine & Practice

Post by Hats Off »

MaxPC wrote:
Hats Off wrote:Unless the book would be written by someone like Donald Kraybill or Steve Nolt, I would expect to find considerable bias. We often assume that other conservative or plain Anabaptist practices and beliefs would be very similar or that ours are quite normative. Kraybill and Nolt among a few others, have done enough research to understand some of the more subtle differences between groups.
I've enjoyed both Kraybill's and Nolt's books. As you mentioned in another post, individual members may vary in their personal practices; I suppose just as individuals would find in most denominations. I think that individuality may reflect a personal walk with Christ that addresses the needs of the individual.

The section on Marriage has the following subtitles:
Marriage is to be between one man and one woman. (Matthew 19:5)

A Christian is to marry only a Christian. (1 Corinthians 7:39, 2 Corinthians 6:14, 1 Peter 3:1-2)

Marriage is for life. (Luke 16:18, 1 Corinthians 7:39, Romans 7:2,3)

Marriage is not for everyone. (1 Corinthians 7:32-33, Matthew 19:12, Jesus speaks of those "which have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven's sake." and finally Revelation 19:7-9)

Thoughts?
Does this sync with your own understanding?
I would have to agree with the subtitles.
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Hats Off wrote:I would have to agree with the subtitles.
Me too. I also agree with the Scriptures they reference.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Hats Off wrote:
MaxPC wrote:
Hats Off wrote:Unless the book would be written by someone like Donald Kraybill or Steve Nolt, I would expect to find considerable bias. We often assume that other conservative or plain Anabaptist practices and beliefs would be very similar or that ours are quite normative. Kraybill and Nolt among a few others, have done enough research to understand some of the more subtle differences between groups.
I've enjoyed both Kraybill's and Nolt's books. As you mentioned in another post, individual members may vary in their personal practices; I suppose just as individuals would find in most denominations. I think that individuality may reflect a personal walk with Christ that addresses the needs of the individual.

The section on Marriage has the following subtitles:
Marriage is to be between one man and one woman. (Matthew 19:5)

A Christian is to marry only a Christian. (1 Corinthians 7:39, 2 Corinthians 6:14, 1 Peter 3:1-2)

Marriage is for life. (Luke 16:18, 1 Corinthians 7:39, Romans 7:2,3)

Marriage is not for everyone. (1 Corinthians 7:32-33, Matthew 19:12, Jesus speaks of those "which have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven's sake." and finally Revelation 19:7-9)

Thoughts?
I would have to agree with the subtitles.
Thank you. If you don't mind, I'll post some of the other excerpts from the book so I can gather more insights into how the concepts are considered in the living practices of fellowships.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

Another query for those who currently attend a Mennonite/Anabaptist fellowships. This book mentions Anointing with Oil as one of the Seven Ordinances. The subtopics are:

-Anointing with oil should be done by ministers of the local church.

-Healing comes through the prayer of faith. ("Continued sickness does not mean that our prayers have failed or that we did not have enough faith. We must have the full confidence that God always hears our prayers and that all His answers are right.")

-Healing is associated with confession of sin.

Thoughts?
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
Heirbyadoption
Affiliation: Brethren

Post by Heirbyadoption »

Might be a different David Null, but there is one here in Southern PA that is Nationwide. I'll have to ask him if it was/is his book.
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Is this accurate? How would you update it for current fellowships?

http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Anointing_with_Oil
In several branches of the Mennonite brotherhood, since the 19th century at least, sick members occasionally request the ministers to come to their bedside and pray for their recovery, accompanying the prayer with the symbolical anointing taught in James 5. This is true of the Conservative Mennonite Conference, the Evangelical Mennonite Brethren (later Fellowship of Evangelical Bible Churches), the Church of God in Christ, Mennonite, the Old Order Amish, the Old Order Mennonite, the Missionary Church (Evangelical Missionary Church in Canada), and occasionally within the Mennonite Brethren. It was not altogether unknown among some of the Mennonite congregations in Russia, though seldom practiced. The General Conference Mennonite Church group did not observe this practice.

The rite usually includes most or all of the following: singing of a stanza or two of a hymn; the reading of the relevant passage in James 5; an interpretation of the passage; a discussion of the meaning of prayer; opportunity for the sick person to give an expression of his faith, or to confess sin, the application of olive oil to the sick person's head; and prayer accompanied by the laying on of hands. The rite is intended to give expression to the sick Christian's faith (he himself is to call for the ceremony) and to stimulate his faith in the healing power of God. The oil is a mere symbol of this healing power. It is normally expected that the ill person has the assurance that God wishes to raise him up, though this is not universally required; it may be merely the expression of a general faith coupled with a resignation to God's will. It is never a mandate to God demanding immediate or ultimate healing. Nor is it intended as a preparation for death. The James passage applies to illness, not bone fractures, congenital abnormalities, loss of limbs or extremities, etc.

Since the Reformed Mennonites, who separated from the Lancaster Conference (Mennonite Church) in 1812, do not observe the practice, and since the Missionary Church and the Old Order Mennonite bodies, who separated from the Mennonite Church 1870-1880, do observe its practice, it is possible that the Old Order Amish and the Mennonites (MC) began to anoint with oil during the 19th century as a result of the renewed interest in Bible study which the brotherhood experienced in that era. There is no record of this practice among any of the Mennonites of Europe.

The administration of the rite in the Old Order Amish, Conservative Mennonite Conference, and Old Order Mennonite groups is usually reserved for the bishop or for the other ministers by his authorization. In such groups as the Mennonite Church, Mennonite Brethren, and Evangelical Missionary Church, any minister may anoint.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

Heirbyadoption wrote:Might be a different David Null, but there is one here in Southern PA that is Nationwide. I'll have to ask him if it was/is his book.
That would be great. Thank you!

Another query for those who currently attend a Mennonite/Anabaptist fellowships. This book mentions Anointing with Oil as one of the Seven Ordinances. The subtopics are:

-Healing comes through the prayer of faith. ("Continued sickness does not mean that our prayers have failed or that we did not have enough faith. We must have the full confidence that God always hears our prayers and that all His answers are right.")

Thoughts?
Does this sync with your fellowship's own current understanding?
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

MaxPC wrote:
Heirbyadoption wrote:Might be a different David Null, but there is one here in Southern PA that is Nationwide. I'll have to ask him if it was/is his book.

Thoughts?
More specifically does your fellowship follow this ordinance? Who can do anointing if it does?
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by lesterb »

MaxPC wrote:
MaxPC wrote:

Thoughts?
More specifically does your fellowship follow this ordinance? Who can do anointing if it does?
I was annointed a year and a half ago, before I went to the hospital for two weeks. It didn't bring me immediate healing, and I didn't have a problem with that, since I view it more as a way to show that we are open to God's direction in our lives. I had a growth in my colon that was around 9 cm in diameter at that point, and they told me that I would probably need surgery to have a part of my colon removed. The surgeon who did the colonoscopy was so certain that it was cancer that he said if the tests came back benign he would do it over. But it wasn't, and when they did a high density ultrasound several month's later, they couldn't find it at all. So they did another colonoscopy and it was completely clear. The ultrasound was read by a doctor who has world wide recognition as an expert in these specialized ultrasounds. I read his report. He said he was "confounded" by the results and that the only recommendation he could make was to take regular colonoscopies. In fact, the technician came back into the room and redid parts of it on the spot, because it didn't coincide with the previous reports on my file.

So what do you think? I don't talk much about this, and I've never made claims about being healed. But it does seem that something unusual took place, and personally I feel it was God's doing.
0 x
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

I agree with you, Lester. It certainly makes me think of Divine intervention. Am praising God for your healing :up: :pray :dance:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)