Introduction to Mennonite Doctrine & Practice

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Introduction to Mennonite Doctrine & Practice

Post by MaxPC »

This is a 90 page book by David Null that is designed to share the beliefs and practices of conservative Mennonite churches that sets them apart from most other churches who call themselves Christian. It uses Biblical passages and a clear explanation of the teachings. A good intro to conservative Mennonite teachings. Published by Rod & Staff in 2004. I recommend it.
:up: :up:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Re: Introduction to Mennonite Doctrine & Practice

Post by Sudsy »

MaxPC wrote:This is a 90 page book by David Null that is designed to share the beliefs and practices of conservative Mennonite churches that sets them apart from most other churches who call themselves Christian. It uses Biblical passages and a clear explanation of the teachings. A good intro to conservative Mennonite teachings. Published by Rod & Staff in 2004. I recommend it.
:up: :up:
Are you considering becoming a Conservative Mennonite ?
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

I'm reading and appreciating. :D
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

MaxPC wrote:I'm reading and appreciating. :D
So yay or nay?
A good follow up would be some early Anabaptist writings, Max. :)
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

I would not describe this book as adequately representing all or even most conservative Anabaptists.

It does describe the particular set of beliefs and practice adopted by some specific groups of conservative Anabaptists. These groups generally believe themselves (or other groups with practice at a similarly-strict level) to be the "real" conservative Anabaptists, with everyone else going astray.
0 x
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

I wonder what other conservative Anabaptists think of this book (if they're familiar with it). Here is the list of chapters:
1. Salvation
2. The Seven Ordinances
3. Public Worship
4. Appearance & Dress
5. Brotherhood Assistance
6. Nonresistance
7. Relation to Civil Government
8. The Church
9. Leaders in the Church
10. The Christian Home
11. Conclusion

In Chapter 2: The Seven Ordinances, it begins:
An ordinance is a religious practice that expresses a Biblical principle. Seven Christian ordinances are taught in the New Testament: Baptism, Communion, Feet Washing,the Holy Kiss, Marriage, the Woman's Headship Covering, and Anointing With Oil. Conservative Mennonite churches maintain these ordinances through teaching and preaching as well as through literal practice.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

MaxPC wrote:This is a 90 page book by David Null that is designed to share the beliefs and practices of conservative Mennonite churches that sets them apart from most other churches who call themselves Christian.
Wouldn't most of those differences also set them apart from Catholics? I think that's why people are asking you these questions.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Post by Sudsy »

MaxPC wrote:I wonder what other conservative Anabaptists think of this book (if they're familiar with it). Here is the list of chapters:
1. Salvation
2. The Seven Ordinances
3. Public Worship
4. Appearance & Dress
5. Brotherhood Assistance
6. Nonresistance
7. Relation to Civil Government
8. The Church
9. Leaders in the Church
10. The Christian Home
11. Conclusion

In Chapter 2: The Seven Ordinances, it begins:
An ordinance is a religious practice that expresses a Biblical principle. Seven Christian ordinances are taught in the New Testament: Baptism, Communion, Feet Washing,the Holy Kiss, Marriage, the Woman's Headship Covering, and Anointing With Oil. Conservative Mennonite churches maintain these ordinances through teaching and preaching as well as through literal practice.
From what I recall Menno Simons only recognized 2 ordinances - baptism and communion and only as symbolic. So, seems like Menno would not be part of a modern Conservative Mennonite church. Yes/No?
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Josh wrote:I would not describe this book as adequately representing all or even most conservative Anabaptists.

It does describe the particular set of beliefs and practice adopted by some specific groups of conservative Anabaptists. These groups generally believe themselves (or other groups with practice at a similarly-strict level) to be the "real" conservative Anabaptists, with everyone else going astray.
I have no idea who David Null is or what group he comes from. Nobody has mentioned him on MN before now.

What books would conservative Anabaptists on MN recommend if we want to read about something that agrees with your understandings? Or is this the kind of thing you can not get out of books?
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

Unless the book would be written by someone like Donald Kraybill or Steve Nolt, I would expect to find considerable bias. We often assume that other conservative or plain Anabaptist practices and beliefs would be very similar or that ours are quite normative. Kraybill and Nolt among a few others, have done enough research to understand some of the more subtle differences between groups.
0 x