When to open a can of worms...

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: When to open a can of worms...

Post by Bootstrap »

Joy wrote:
Joy wrote:I have opened cans of my own worms to individuals whom I thought needed the stories of repentance and forgiveness, including inmates.
I should have added that in one of those cases of sin on my part, I was inspired to confess to the party involved by a book in which the author confessed her sin at the same institution.

So her opening a can of worms helped me.
It's hard to see God's grace unless we see Christians who have experienced that grace and can testify to it. Not just in vague terms, but as people who have been saved despite real sins. And it's hard to see God's grace unless we see Christians extending that grace to others.

Which is why Jesus ranted against the Pharisees, who insisted on their own perfection and refused to extend grace, tearing down others to build themselves up. Who would dare approach a God that looked like that?
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Once I was visiting with a family, and a young person was in distress about worrying about trying different jobs and being unsuccessful at them, quitting, or maybe even being fired.

So I decided to share my own job history a young age, which to me is very embarrassing (especially around conservative Mennonites, who seem to value the perception that one is a hard worker). I had plenty of examples of quitting jobs, being terminated for poor performance, and examples of trying all kinds of different occupations.

This was actually a real encouragement however. But it did require putting myself out there, and being willing to admit to shameful things.
0 x
Mrs.Nisly
Affiliation: BMA

Post by Mrs.Nisly »

I think when we are unwilling to discuss our Skeletons with anyone it means the Gospel still has to penetrate deeper into our reality. I do not say this lightly, because sin causes great pain. But if the truth of the Gospel can't go to the very deepest places of our brokeness, its worthless.

The Law is what makes us aware of sin.

When we are in Christ, there is no condemnation of sin.

It's not like we brag about how depraved we are, but a willingness to to be transparent means we are walking in repentance. (Blessed are they that mourn...etc.)

Of course there needs to be wisdom about what is appropriate. Timing, audience, tone, how graphic, etc,etc.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Mrs.Nisly wrote:I think when we are unwilling to discuss our Skeletons with anyone it means the Gospel still has to penetrate deeper into our reality. I do not say this lightly, because sin causes great pain. But if the truth of the Gospel can't go to the very deepest places of our brokeness, its worthless.

It's not like we brag about how depraved we are, but a willingness to to be transparent means we are walking in repentance. (Blessed are they that mourn...etc.)

Of course there needs to be wisdom about what is appropriate. Timing, audience, tone, how graphic, etc,etc.
There’s a real limit to how much I like to talk about my past when with folks who were born and raised in plain Anabaptist circles. This is a challenge a lot of seekers face.
0 x
Mrs.Nisly
Affiliation: BMA

Post by Mrs.Nisly »

Josh wrote:
Mrs.Nisly wrote:I think when we are unwilling to discuss our Skeletons with anyone it means the Gospel still has to penetrate deeper into our reality. I do not say this lightly, because sin causes great pain. But if the truth of the Gospel can't go to the very deepest places of our brokeness, its worthless.

There’s a real limit to how much I like to talk about my past when with folks who were born and raised in plain Anabaptist circles. This is a challenge a lot of seekers face.
Josh, I understand there is a time and a place, and if you have permission to be open.
We are all somewhere beneath the truth I shared.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote:

Interestingly this is kind of the opposite of Evangelical Southern Baptist type churches where the the bigger the sinner the bigger the catch so to speak. It's kind of like the prodigal son. Those folks love them a good sin and redemption story.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr