Beatitudes

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Beatitudes

Post by MaxPC »

I have put this query in Anabaptist Theology and Practice as I'm interested in how the Mennonites, Brethren and Amish would answer the following:
How are the Beatitudes interpreted and expressed in your fellowship:
Individually?
As an organized group?
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Re: Beatitudes

Post by Hats Off »

They are taken as a group but with each verse explained individually, if this makes sense.
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Hats Off wrote:They are taken as a group but with each verse explained individually, if this makes sense.
I think you are saying this: Every passage must be interpreted as a whole, and in relationship to the other passages. Every verse must be interpreted in its context. "A text without a context is only a pretext."

For instance, some people have suggested that these are instructions for a future kingdom that is not yet here, but Jesus was clearly teaching this to his disciples directly as something to be lived out even before Jesus died and rose from the dead. That affects our interpretation of every verse.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Hats Off wrote:They are taken as a group but with each verse explained individually, if this makes sense.
Makes perfect sense. :hug:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God