Your Fellowship/Denomination's Statement of Faith

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
aussieandy
Affiliation: Nationwide (Seeker)

Re: Your Fellowship/Denomination's Statement of Faith

Post by aussieandy »

lesterb wrote:
YorkandAdams wrote:1921 Garden City Confession of Faith would be upheld in the ultra-conservative and moderate circles I believe.
The EPMC and a few others might. But the NWF uses the 1964 version, called Christian Fundamentals, adopted in Hartville OH.
Here's the 1921 Statement of Faith for anyone who needs the link:

https://gameo.org/index.php?title=Chris ... rch,_1921)

The main differences I can see between it and the 1964 Hartville declaration are on the restrictions. The 64 declaration places heavy restrictions on media (TV, radio, Theatres) and also, forbids joining labour unions from memory whilst the 1921 statement, does not. I haven't got it in front of me but I also think the 64 declaration doesn't allow organised sports on Sundays. I'll need to go find a copy of it again to refresh my memory.

Found a copy of the 1964 document online (one of the few places it is):

http://www.anabaptistmennonites.net/ind ... fFaith.pdf

You can see that it also includes things like ex-communication, shunning, intermarriage with unbelievers forbidden, no wedding bands, etc.

There's nothing in any of the statements of faith that ban instrumental music in the home, just in the church itself. However, many choose not to have instrumental music in the home as well but there's no official requirement in any standard rules or documents.
0 x
queserasera_2
Affiliation:

Post by queserasera_2 »

Heir, you know ours. I wish we could just bin it and start over as a Brethren church.
0 x
Heirbyadoption
Affiliation: Brethren

Post by Heirbyadoption »

queserasera_2 wrote:Heir, you know ours. I wish we could just bin it and start over as a Brethren church.
Ah, dear sister, as the esteemed MLK Jr once said, "We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope!" :P Might you summarily elaborate on starting over "as a Brethren church...?"
0 x
queserasera_2
Affiliation:

Post by queserasera_2 »

We have no creed but the New Testament.
0 x