Talking about other people who aren't here

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Talking about other people who aren't here

Post by Josh »

temporal1 wrote:
Josh wrote:If your wife divorces you and marries someone else, it's not exactly gossip if you share that fact when someone asks.
no, of course not. has anyone asked? :?
Bootstrap has been asked rather pointedly a number of times (including by me) about his marital history.
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Josh wrote:
temporal1 wrote:no, of course not. has anyone asked? :?
Bootstrap has been asked rather pointedly a number of times (including by me) about his marital history.
Does anyone feel the need to continue discussing this? If not, can we let it drop to avoid hijacking this thread, and go back to the original topic? If so, can we find a more appropriate place for the discussion?
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Bootstrap wrote:Back to the topic of the thread: Some questions:
  • 1. How do you handle it when someone comes to you with the dirt on someone else and you want to avoid joining them in sinful gossip? Are there good ways to do this that will point out what is inappropriate, and are more likely to edify the gossip than to offend?

2. What is it that makes this kind of gossip tempting? What is the emotional payoff in gossip?

3. What is the difference between sinful gossip and pastoral care, prayer, and other ways that we should be talking about people who may have flaws?

4. When prayer and talking about others get blurred - e.g. praying about someone else who is wrestling with some sin - what guidelines do you use?
Does the Bible give us guidelines here? Can we feel out some useful guidelines based on experiences we have had?
Often a key to how we respond is what our relationship is with the person the story is being told about. If we love them or if we kinda have a problem with them, our responses are usually different.
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

RZehr wrote:Often a key to how we respond is what our relationship is with the person the story is being told about. If we love them or if we kinda have a problem with them, our responses are usually different.
And thinking about what telling the story means for the relationship between the person I'm talking to and the person I'm talking about ...
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?