Post by Sudsy »

The question is -'Why should I become a Christ follower ?'
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Re: How Would You Answer ?

Post by Hats Off »

Who is asking? What is his background? I need more information.

Do you want a one sentence answer or a more detailed one?
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

I thought you already were. 8-)

My answer would depend on the scenario, the person, and my relationship with them.
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Sudsy wrote:The question is -'Why should I become a Christ follower ?'
If that is the only information- without building a conversation knowing the person's background- my answer would be what Jesus said:

"I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life, no man comes to the Father, except through Me" (John 14:6) I say this, knowing that this answer in itself will probably lead to more questions and answers from Jesus. Where else would we go but to the One and only who IS the Way, the Truth and the Life? Why would we follow any other, including ourselves and our own inclinations?
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

RZehr wrote:I thought you already were. 8-)

My answer would depend on the scenario, the person, and my relationship with them.
My thoughts exactly.

And to the person who asks "Why should I become a follower of Christ?" in a sarcastic way I would turn his or her question around and ask "Why not?" and in the process get them to tell me more about what's in their thinking. By listening to them, it makes it easier to have a conversation with them about what matters most.

Of course another aspect is if I am not on my way to an appointment and have the time to engage such a conversation.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Post by Sudsy »

OK, I'll set up a for instance. This person has just heard some one say that they need to become a Christ follower and they turn to you and asks this question. You are able and willing to give them an answer to their question and you know very little or nothing about this individual (which is often the case in outreach evangelism).

I think MaxPC has a good approach to find out what may be behind that question by asking 'Why not ?'. Now suppose the follow up to the 'Why not ?' is 'Someone said if I don't become a Christ follower I will end up in hell'.

And Valerie using a scripture verse which might be responded to with 'And so why should I believe what a book tells me that Jesus said ?' And then how would one give reason(s) for their trust in what the bible says ?

What I'm curious about is how Christians would tackle this initial question, whether it be to avoid hell, to become a better person or something else. My background did have an initial reply that would likely to escape the judgment of God on our sin in a place of endless torment in hell. That would not be my initial response today.

Additionally and hopefully we can pursue giving possible replies to followup questions that a yet unsaved person may ask.
0 x
Pilgrim
Affiliation: Baptist

Post by Pilgrim »

Because outside of Christ there is no hope. God loves us and wants a relationship with us. He is the only answer for our problems. As one pastor said "You can go to Heaven, or you can go to Hell, but you can't stay here." Life is short and we are going somewhere. The choice is yours.

Ken
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Post by Sudsy »

Pilgrim wrote:Because outside of Christ there is no hope. God loves us and wants a relationship with us. He is the only answer for our problems. As one pastor said "You can go to Heaven, or you can go to Hell, but you can't stay here." Life is short and we are going somewhere. The choice is yours.

Ken
And what if this is the reply - 'I take it you got these ideas from preachers of the bible and if so, why should I believe the bible ?' Sometimes 'not yet believers' will question the validity of the basis for our belief.

Not asking you to answer this Pilgrim, if you don't care to.

Perhaps this thread could be used by anyone to present various questions you have been confronted with or have concerns that you may be confronted with and then anyone can give how they would respond ? Expanding the OP to questions by 'not yet believers'.

But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, 1 Peter 3:15
0 x