What's a deal-breaker for you?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

What's a deal-breaker for you?

Post by steve-in-kville »

Got thinking about this today.... when it comes to church standards and applications, what are you willing to compromise on? In example: your congregation allows some technology or entertainment that you personally don't agree with, but you go with the flow. Or, your church makes the move from a cap-style head covering to a hanging veil (which you don't really agree with), but you stick by your cap anyway?

Where do you compromise and go with the flow? Where do your strike that liberal/conservative balance??
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
steve-in-kville

Re: What's a deal-breaker for you?

ETA: This isn't a debate on what standards are right or wrong in your own personal opinion. Its about how tolerant one should be when looking at church standards that one doesn't agree with 100% Make sense?
0 x

MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

steve-in-kville wrote:ETA: This isn't a debate on what standards are right or wrong in your own personal opinion. Its about how tolerant one should be when looking at church standards that one doesn't agree with 100% Make sense?
For me personally, if the teaching from the pulpit is sound and encourages me toward better discipleship; and if the fellowship with others in the parish doesn't tend toward bingo or drinking at socials, then I have no problem continuing my personal tech choices and clothing choices.

Of course in a Catholic parish we don't have a rigorous dress code (business casual vs plain attire) or lifestyle standards such as caps vs veils. If someone is obviously struggling with a besetting sin, we encourage that person to speak to the priest or a spiritual advisor to find a way forward. YMMV :D
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Post by Sudsy »

Romans 14 may have the answer or at least part of the answer. :)
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

I think you might find some overlap on this subject on this thread. http://forum.mennonet.com/viewtopic.php ... 081#p14081
0 x
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Honestly something that turns me off from a group a bit is when they have a concrete answer for everything.
A very cut-and-dry, black-and-white belief system isn't something I'm comfortable with.
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Sorry, I meant to link this thread with this one: http://forum.mennonet.com/viewtopic.php ... 608#p10608
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

when every sermon is focused on contributions to build a big church facility with lots of bells+whistles, while scriptures, the spirit of the Word, are ignored. i am amazed at how popular these various groups are. i fail to understand what motivates people to return, even to find a "home church" - without spiritual nourishment. :?

just remembered. :idea:
my father would occasionally refer to many churches as "the poor man's country club."
i'm not sure how common that expression was. i don't recall hearing it elsewhere.
but, even as a child, i could grasp some wisdom in there.

not everyone who attends church is seeking spiritual guidance.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
YorkandAdams
Affiliation:

Post by YorkandAdams »

Deal breaker in what direction?

On the more conservative side a problem for me would be completely no internet access, as I can't tell my boss that I will not longer being using email.

On the libral end of spectrum, I would not attend a church that allowed movies, TV, popular music/radio, exc. For me these are virtually impossible to control/regulate and will not simply stop at the "godly" stuff. Even in a intermediate conservative setting, I am seeing way to many people spending time on social media and "worldy" entertainment without technically breaking the rules. Im not watching TV, its Netflix. Im not listing the the radio, its Spotify. I can only imagine what the youth at a fundemental church would be doing.

What are the things that I am willing to tolerate even though they could cause problems in the future?

certain color cars (parking lot of black and blue, too one which resembles a rainbow)
social media (even the ministers wives at my church are on it now)
Dress patterns (larger, bolder, and brighter prints are being slowly accepted)
Covering styles (currently Kapp, but most of the young women are pushing for veil option)

As a NMB "Seeker" I have really gained an appreciation for some of the practices of the church I attend. If too many of these things which attracted me change, then I am most likely going to switch churches.
0 x
steve-in-kville

KingdomBuilder wrote:Honestly something that turns me off from a group a bit is when they have a concrete answer for everything.
A very cut-and-dry, black-and-white belief system isn't something I'm comfortable with.
Sounds like the makings of a cult!
0 x