What's a deal-breaker for you?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Re: What's a deal-breaker for you?

Post by Hats Off »

From another thread, here is what a deal breaker looks like to me: "Unfortunately in the old order Mennonite churches in Canada, conference discussions are top secret, and should any word of conference discussions be leaked, the conference leaders have vowed to find the source of the leak. This is where I see some Anabaptists reverting to Catholic practices." Too many of these Catholic type or pre-Anabaptist practices would be hard to accept unquestioningly..
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Judas Maccabeus wrote:Remember, all of our churches are composed of less-than-perfect people.
As soon as I join a church, that's guaranteed.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Hats Off wrote:From another thread, here is what a deal breaker looks like to me: "Unfortunately in the old order Mennonite churches in Canada, conference discussions are top secret, and should any word of conference discussions be leaked, the conference leaders have vowed to find the source of the leak. This is where I see some Anabaptists reverting to Catholic practices." Too many of these Catholic type or pre-Anabaptist practices would be hard to accept unquestioningly..
Hence why I think the reputation Mennonites have for gossip isn't a bad thing, but a good thing. It's good not to have secrets stay secrets.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Just because there is a silver lining, does not mean that gossip is good.

I'm sure I'm as guilty as the next person. :cry:
0 x
Heirbyadoption
Affiliation: Brethren

Post by Heirbyadoption »

Josh wrote:
Hats Off wrote:From another thread, here is what a deal breaker looks like to me: "Unfortunately in the old order Mennonite churches in Canada, conference discussions are top secret, and should any word of conference discussions be leaked, the conference leaders have vowed to find the source of the leak. This is where I see some Anabaptists reverting to Catholic practices." Too many of these Catholic type or pre-Anabaptist practices would be hard to accept unquestioningly..
Hence why I think the reputation Mennonites have for gossip isn't a bad thing, but a good thing. It's good not to have secrets stay secrets.
To rephrase the last statement before this, secrets not staying secrets is no justification for the often well-earned gossip reputation of Plain folk and the irreparable harm it (the actual gossip) can and has done to various individuals, families, and groups.
0 x
Biblical Anabaptist
Affiliation: Unaffiliated Menno

Post by Biblical Anabaptist »

Josh wrote:
Secrets and confidentiality are not necessarily the same thing. Sometimes I feel the need to share a personal situation that would be of no benefit to anyone to be made public knowledge. Of course if it is something like hidden sin, then it needs to be exposed to the proper persons.
0 x
Hats Off

Post by Hats Off »

I would agree that secrets and confidentiality are not the same. There are certainly discussions that need to be confidential.
0 x
betterpromises2
Affiliation: Foothills Comm. Ch.

Post by betterpromises2 »

steve-in-kville wrote:Again, lots of great replies.

My wife and I were members of a very conservative brethren group that will remain unnamed (as I still have an immense respect for them). The one minister/elder... no matter the subject title.... no matter the scripture.... his sermon would always end up preaching against the men wearing printed baseball caps and the girls wearing sport socks (whatever that is).

It was a big turn off.
Using the God-ordained function of preaching the Word to air pet peeves seems very disrespectful to God and the congregation. I see some of this.
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Hats Off wrote:I would agree that secrets and confidentiality are not the same. There are certainly discussions that need to be confidential.
What about "cover stories"? In example, leadership waters down issues within the congregation to give the impression to new members/visitors that everything is okay... when its really not!
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Hats Off

Post by Hats Off »

And sometimes leaders think it is all taken care of - everything is good; when they actually haven't done anything about the issue. So they "innocently" water it down for public consumption, thinking they have dealt with the issue at hand.
0 x