Occupations that are uniquely objectionable to Conservative Anabaptists

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Re: Occupations that are uniquely objectionable to Conservative Anabaptists

Post by steve-in-kville »

Our local fire companies do a lot of spaghetti dinners, chicken pot pie, ox roasts, food truck events and such like. Their biggest hurdle is getting help for these things.
1 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Professional or amateur sports?
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

MaxPC wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 8:28 am Professional or amateur sports?
No plain Anabaptist would be OK with being a professional athlete. Most conservative Anabaptists wouldn't be OK with amateur sports like playing in college or the Olympics. Most (but not quite as many) conservative Anabaptists wouldn't be ok with organised sports at all. Generally, groups that are OK with organised sports are transitional groups that are on a trend to become more worldly, and will eventually embrace watching professional sports on TV, if they haven't already.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Neighborhood watch?
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
mike
Affiliation: ConMen

Post by mike »

I don't think anybody has commented yet on to what extent CAs would be OK with being an internet service provider. Could this be considered similar to any other IT job - selling and servicing computers and networking?
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

mike wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:14 am I don't think anybody has commented yet on to what extent CAs would be OK with being an internet service provider. Could this be considered similar to any other IT job - selling and servicing computers and networking?
Wow. That would be a tough one for me personally. If I started such a business, I think I would feel morally responsible to put some sort of filter on it.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
steve-in-kville

Josh wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 8:30 am
MaxPC wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 8:28 am Professional or amateur sports?
No plain Anabaptist would be OK with being a professional athlete. Most conservative Anabaptists wouldn't be OK with amateur sports like playing in college or the Olympics. Most (but not quite as many) conservative Anabaptists wouldn't be ok with organised sports at all. Generally, groups that are OK with organised sports are transitional groups that are on a trend to become more worldly, and will eventually embrace watching professional sports on TV, if they haven't already.
What about the Hornings and Joe Wengers and their baseball leagues? Or is that not a thing anymore?
0 x

Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

steve-in-kville wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:19 am What about the Hornings and Joe Wengers and their baseball leagues? Or is that not a thing anymore?
I don't know much about them. My statements were generalisations - the more conservative the group, the less comfortable they are with organised sports.
0 x
steve-in-kville

Josh wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:20 am
steve-in-kville wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:19 am What about the Hornings and Joe Wengers and their baseball leagues? Or is that not a thing anymore?
I don't know much about them. My statements were generalisations - the more conservative the group, the less comfortable they are with organised sports.
That was huge when I was driving Joe Wengers around in the mid-90's. Summertime it was baseball, winter was hockey. I even watched a few games and they took it pretty serious.
0 x

mike
Affiliation: ConMen

Post by mike »

Ernie wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:16 am
mike wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:14 am I don't think anybody has commented yet on to what extent CAs would be OK with being an internet service provider. Could this be considered similar to any other IT job - selling and servicing computers and networking?
Wow. That would be a tough one for me personally. If I started such a business, I think I would feel morally responsible to put some sort of filter on it.
Which would really mean that you couldn't offer the service. The CA-run ISP I know of is an actual service provider running fiber, wireless transmitters and towers, and receivers and routers on the client end, broadly serving whole geographical areas as an alternative to DSL & cable options and also for areas that have no other broadband service. Due to that last bit they are also a recipient of government subsidies. The owners are Pilgrim Mennonite Conference.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3